Alan Peter Cayetano
|Alan Peter Cayetano|
Senate Majority Floor Leader
|Senate Majority Floor Leader|
July 22, 2013
|Preceded by||Gregorio Honasan (acting)|
|Senator of the Philippines|
June 30, 2007
|Philippine Senate Minority Floor Leader|
July 26, 2010 – July 22, 2013
|Preceded by||Aquilino Pimentel Jr.|
|Succeeded by||Juan Ponce Enrile|
|Member of the Philippine House of Representatives from Lone District of Taguig City-Pateros|
June 30, 1998 – June 30, 2007
|Preceded by||Dante O. Tinga|
|Succeeded by||Ma. Laarni Lopez-Cayetano|
|Acting Vice Mayor of Taguig|
June 20 – June 30, 1998
|Member of the Taguig Municipal Council from the 1st district|
June 30, 1992 – June 30, 1995
|Born||Alan Peter Schramm Cayetano
October 28, 1970 
Taguig, Rizal, Philippines
|Political party||Nacionalista (2005-present)|
Team PNoy (2012-2015)
Genuine Opposition (2007)
|Spouse(s)||Maria Laarni Lopez|
|Alma mater||University of the Philippines
Ateneo de Manila University
|Religion||(Protestant) Evangelical Christianity|
Alan Peter "Companyero" Schramm Cayetano (born October 28, 1970), is a Filipino politician, of German ancestry. He served as a Senator in the Senate of the Philippines who has been elected since 2007. He is the brother of Pia Cayetano.
Born on the 28th of October 1970 to of the late Senator Renato "Compañero" Cayetano and German-American former school teacher Sandra Schramm, Cayetano resides with his family in Bagumbayan, Taguig City. His wife, Maria Laarni Lopez Cayetano, is currently the Mayor of Taguig City. His older sister, Pia, is also a Senator. His youngest brother, Lino is the incumbent representative of the 2nd District of Taguig while his other brother Ren is a former councilor of Muntinlupa.
- Elementary and High school: De La Salle – Zobel
- College: BA Political Science at the University of the Philippines, Diliman (graduated in 1993)
- Post Graduate: Law (Juris Doctor) at the Ateneo de Manila University (graduated in 1997) as Silver Medalist
- 1992: At 21, he became Councilor of Taguig. He was the youngest councilor of his generation.
- 1995: At 24, he ran and won as Vice Mayor of Taguig but his official proclamation took place in 1998, only 10 days before his three-year term of office was due to end.
- 1998 to 2004: At 27, he became Congressman of Taguig.
- 2007 to present: At 36, he became Senator of the Philippines.
During the 14th Congress, in his first term as Senator of the Philippines, Senator Alan chaired the following committees:
- The Blue Ribbon Committee or the Committee on Accountability of Public Officers
- The Committee on Education, Culture and Arts
- The Committee on Mass Media and Information
During the 15th Congress, Senator Alan became:
- Senate Minority Floor Leader
- Chairman of the Committee on Ethics and Privileges
- Vice Chairman of the Joint Congressional Oversight Committee on the Automated Election System (JCOC-AES)
- Co-Chairman of the Joint Congressional Oversight Committee for the E-Commerce Law
After the 2013 elections, at the start of the 16th Congress, Senator Alan was elected as the new Senate Majority Floor Leader and was likewise appointed to chair the Senate Committee on Rules.
Cayetano has also authored the following bills that have been enacted into law:
- R.A. No. 9521 - National Book Development Trust Fund Act (co-author)
- R.A. No. 10122 - Act Strengthening the Literacy Coordinating Council
- R.A. No. 10152 - Act Requiring Mandatory Basic Immunization Services Against Hepatitis-B for Infants
- R.A. No. 9500 - University of the Philippines Charter Act of 2008
- R.A. No. 9994 - Expanded Senior Citizens Act of 2009 (co-author)
He also has pending Bills at the Senate that await passage:
- S.B. NO. 90 - Freedom of Information Act of 2013
- S.B. NO. 91 - Orphaned, Abandoned, Neglected or Voluntarily Committed Children's Welfare and Protection Act
- S.B. NO. 92 - Trust Fund for the Abandoned, Neglected or Voluntarily Committed Child of 2013
- S.B. NO. 93 - Iskolar Ng Bayan Act of 2013
- S.B. NO. 94 - Granting P9,000 Additional Compensation and P 1,000 Medical Allowance to Teachers
- S.B. NO. 245 - Decriminalizing Libel and Defamation
- S.B. NO. 246 - Children with Special Needs Education Fund Act of 2013
- S.B. NO. 247 - Uniformed Personnel Health and Wellness Development Act of 2013
- S.B. NO. 248 - Amending section 19 of Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012
- S.B. NO. 249 - Repealing sections 4(c) (4), 5, 6, and 7 of Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012
- S.B. NO. 1490 –Emergency Response Department Act of 2013
- RA 8749 Philippine Clean Air Act (11th Congress)
- No to the 2005 & 2006 junking of the impeachment complaint against President Arroyo (13th Congress)
- Endorsed verified complaint for impeachment against President Estrada (11th Congress)
In a press event held in Davao City, Senator Cayetano, announced that he will be running for Vice President in the 2016 national elections under the Nacionalista Party. Cayetano, did not mention who will be his Presidential runningmate. On November 21, 2015, it was made official that Rodrigo Duterte will be his running mate for the 2016 Presidential Elections.
- "Alan Peter Cayetano Biography". Senate of the Philippines. March 14, 2014.
- "The Manila Times Internet Edition - WEEKEND >The independent". Archived from the original on 2009-07-30.
- Viray, Patricia Lourdes (2015-09-19). "Cayetano to run for VP". Philstar. Retrieved 2015-09-29.
- "Alan Cayetano announces 2016 VP run in Davao City". GMA News Online. 2015-09-19. Retrieved 2015-09-29.