Alan Reid (politician)
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Member of Parliament |
for Argyll and Bute
7 June 2001 – 30 March 2015
|Preceded by||Ray Michie|
|Succeeded by||Brendan O'Hara|
|Born||7 August 1954|
Ayr, Ayrshire, Scotland
|Political party||Liberal Democrat|
|Alma mater||University of Strathclyde|
Alan Reid (born 7 August 1954 in Ayr) is a Scottish politician. He was a Liberal Democrat Member of Parliament for Argyll and Bute, until losing his seat to the SNP in the 2015 general election. He was first elected at the 2001 general election.
He was educated at Ayr Academy and the University of Strathclyde where he gained a BSc in Mathematics. Prior to his election to the House of Commons he worked for the University of Glasgow as a computer project manager.
In the 2010 Parliament he served on the Scottish Affairs Committee. In the previous Parliament he was the Liberal Democrat spokesman for Northern Ireland Office and Scotland Office matters. He has also served as a Liberal Democrat Whip
During the MPs expenses scandal the Daily Telegraph drew attention to Reid's claims of over £1500 for stays in B&B's within his own constituency. Reid argued overnight stays were necessary where ferry timetables made it impossible to return to his constituency home, and said he had successfully challenged initially rejected expense claims by explaining the geography of Argyll and Bute.
- "Alan Reid". Parliament UK. Archived from the original on 27 December 2011. Retrieved 30 March 2015.
- "Scottish MP Alan Reid claimed £1,580 for B&Bs and hotels near home: MPs' expenses". Daily Telegraph. 13 May 2009. Retrieved 30 March 2015.
- Alan Reid MP official constituency website
- Alan Reid UK Parliament
- Argyll and Bute Liberal Democrats
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 2010–present
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 1803–2005
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Alan Reid MP at BBC News Democracy Live
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for Argyll and Bute