Alan Gerald Soble (//; born 1947) is an American philosopher and author of several books on the philosophy of sex. He taught at the University of New Orleans from 1986 to 2006. He is currently Adjunct Professor of philosophy at Drexel University in Philadelphia.
Soble was born to William and Sylvia Soble in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Early in his professional career, Soble wrote papers in areas of Ethics and Epistemology. In the late 1970s he began to help articulate the fledgling specialty of the philosophy of sex, becoming one of the founding scholars and leaders of the field. In 1977, while at the University of Texas in Austin, he also founded the Society for the Philosophy of Sex and Love, serving as the society's director from 1977 to 1992; the proceedings of the Society were published in 1997 as Sex, Love, and Friendship with Soble as editor.
In subsequent years, Soble has edited or written many works in this field. In late 2005 he completed the central reference work in the philosophy of sex, Sex from Plato to Paglia.
- Power, Nicholas; Halwani, Raja and Soble, Alan eds. (2012). Philosophy of Sex, 6th edition. Rowman and Littlefield. ISBN 978-1-4422-1671-6.
- Soble, Alan (2008). The Philosophy of Sex and Love: An Introduction, 2nd edition, revised and expanded. Paragon House. ISBN 978-1-55778-875-7.
- Soble, Alan (2006). Sex from Plato to Paglia: A Philosophical Encyclopedia, (editor), 2 volumes. Greenwood Press. ISBN 0-313-32686-X.
- Soble, Alan (2002). Pornography, Sex, and Feminism. Prometheus Books. ISBN 1-57392-944-1.
- Soble, Alan (1996). Sexual Investigations. New York University Press. ISBN 0-8147-8085-7.
- Soble, Alan (1990). The Structure of Love. Yale University Press. ISBN 0-300-04566-2.
- Soble, Alan (1986). Pornography: Marxism, Feminism and the Future of Sexuality. Yale University Press. ISBN 0-300-03524-1.
- Beate Elvebakk, Table 1: Dates of birth of twentieth century philosophers in the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy (IEP), Stanford Encyclopaedia of Philosophy (SEP) and Wikipedia, First Monday
- "Alan Soble, PhD", Department of English and Philosophy, Drexel University. Retrieved May 24, 2014.
- Alan Soble (January 1997), Dedication of Sex, Love, And Friendship, Rodopi B.V.Editions, ISBN 978-90-420-0227-2
- Cohen-Baker, Nadine (2006). "Sex from Plato to Paglia: A Philosophical Encyclopedia". Library Journal. 131 (6).
- Vacek, Edward (1998). "The Philosophy of Sex and Love: An Introduction". Theological Studies. 59 (64): 770.
- "History of the Society". The Society for the Philosophy of Sex and Love. Retrieved 13 March 2010.
- Soble, Alan (1997). "Introduction". In Soble, Alan. Sex, love, and friendship: studies of the Society for the Philosophy of Sex and Love, 1977-1992. Value Inquiry Book Series. 45. Netherlands: Rodopi. p. xli. ISBN 978-90-420-0227-2.
- NYU Press page