Alan Weiss (entrepreneur)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article is an autobiography or has been extensively edited by the subject or by someone connected to the subject. (January 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||March 3, 1946|
Hoboken, New Jersey, USA
|Alma mater||Rutgers University |
|Occupation||Consultant, entrepreneur, speaker, author|
Alan Weiss was born in Hoboken, New Jersey in 1946. He spent his childhood in Union City, New Jersey, and graduated from Emerson High School in 1964. He received degrees in political science from Rutgers, where he was elected to the National Political Science Association Honor Society, and from Montclair University. He was an award-winning editor-in-chief at Rutgers' newspaper, The Observer, winning eight awards including first place in editorial writing in the New Jersey Collegiate Press Association competition.
Weiss joined Prudential Insurance in 1968 and was recruited by the Princeton consulting firm, Kepner-Tregoe, in 1972. In his 11-year career with the consulting firm, he went on to run the Asian, Latin American, and North American Divisions. He was recruited in 1983 to become president of Walter V. Clarke Associates, a behavioral consulting firm in Providence, Rhode Island.
Weiss formed the Summit Consulting Group, Inc. in 1985, specializing in human and organizational performance. Clients for the consulting group include Merck, Hewlett-Packard, JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Allianz Insurance, The New York Times, Mercedes-Benz and Toyota. Additionally, Weiss launched a professional speaking career that has taken him to 60 countries.
Weiss has held a position as an adjunct professor at the University of Rhode Island on strategy and consulting, and has been a visiting lecturer at Georgia University's Graduate School of Business, Case Western Reserve, Boston College, Tufts, the Institute of Management Studies, and the University of Illinois.
Honors and awards
The National Speakers Association has recognized him as a Certified Speaking Professional (CSP) and has elected him to their Speakers Hall of Fame, making him one of only two people in history to be honored by both the IMC as a Fellow and NSA as a Hall of Fame member.
He has served as Chair of the Newport International Film Festival, and on the boards of Trinity Repertory Company, Festival Ballet, and Harvard University's Center for Mental Health and the Media.
He is a recipient of the Axiem Award for excellence in audio presentation.
Weiss, Alan (1988). The Innovation Formula: How Organizations Turn Change Into Opportunity (with Michael Robert). Ballinger. ISBN 0-88730-352-8.
Weiss, Alan (2013). Who's Got Your Back: How to Design, Implement, Evaluate and Improve Your Business by Measuring and Engaging Human Performance (with Omar Khan). Global Professional Publishing. ISBN 1-90640-374-0.
Weiss, Alan (2015). The Language of Success: the Confidence and Ability to Say What You Mean and Mean What You Say in Business and Life (with Kim Wilkerson). Business Expert Press. ISBN 1-63157-300-4.
- "On Speaking Professionally… Alan Weiss Interviews Patricia Fripp". Public Speaking Tips from 997 Ways To Be A Great Speaker. 2013-07-29. Retrieved 2017-07-28.
- "Million Dollar Consultant Alan Weiss Says Social Media Is a Waste of Time for Consultants - Debbie Weil". debbieweil.com. Retrieved 2017-07-28.
- "Alan Weiss Interview: The Million Dollar Maverick - Lisa Larter". Lisa Larter. 2016-04-15. Retrieved 2017-07-28.
- sellingcrossing.com (2007-07-02). "The Summit of Consultants: Alan Weiss". SellingCrossing.com. Retrieved 2017-08-09.
- "Alumni US | Montclair State University (1972)". alumnius.net. Retrieved 2017-08-10.
- "Alan Weiss Consulting Interview: Part 1". Retrieved 2017-07-27.
- Liewicki, ,Nathan. "Symchych bequeaths business-building insight in latest book". www.leaderpost.com. Retrieved 2017-07-28.
- "Summit Consulting Group Inc". www.buzzfile.com. Retrieved 2017-08-04.
- "Visible Expert Profile: Alan Weiss, Ph.D. | Hinge Marketing". Hinge Marketing. 2013-05-27. Retrieved 2017-08-15.
- "Alan Weiss: From Surviving to Thriving as a Consultant". freelancetransformation.com. Retrieved 2017-08-04.
- Middleton, Robert (2006). "Making More Money with Value Pricing" (PDF).
- "» RIP, American Press Institute JIMROMENESKO.COM". Archived from the original on 2017-01-06. Retrieved 2017-08-17.
- "Dr. Alan Weiss FIMC, President, Summit Consulting Group, Inc. - Institute of Management Consultants USA". www.imcusa.org. Retrieved 2017-08-03.
- "Fellows of the Institute - Institute of Management Consultants USA". www.imcusa.org. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- "www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/calendar/484042". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2017-08-03.
- "Alumni US | California Coast University (1991-1995)". alumnius.net. Retrieved 2017-08-04.
- "Newport Seen - Newport International Film Festival in Newport, Rhode Island as seen by NewportSeen". www.newportseen.com. Archived from the original on 2018-08-10. Retrieved 2017-07-31.
- "Alan Weiss: Executive Profile & Biography - Bloomberg". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2017-07-31.
- "Alan Weiss on Million Dollar Launch and the role of vulnerability - Born To Influence - Helping Experts Build Their Platform Online". borntoinfluence.com. Retrieved 2017-07-31.
- "How to be a Million Dollar Maverick with Alan Weiss | The Sales Leader". www.engageselling.com. Retrieved 2017-08-01.
- "Episode 51 – Million Dollar Consulting with Alan Weiss". The Extraordinary Business Book Club. 2017-03-06. Retrieved 2017-08-01.
- Weiss, Alan (2016-04-27). Million Dollar Consulting: The Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice, Fifth Edition (5 ed.). McGraw-Hill Education. ISBN 9781259588617.
- "Consulting Leadership and Management Experts Peter Block and Alan Weiss to Keynote IMC USA Conference in October 2016 in Washington D.C. | The International Council of Management Consulting Institutes". www.cmc-global.org. Retrieved 2017-08-01.