|687th Lord Mayor of London|
7 November 2014 – 12 November 2015
|Preceded by||Dame Fiona Woolf|
|Succeeded by||The Lord Mountevans|
Alan Colin Drake Yarrow
27 June 1951
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
|Spouse(s)||Gillian Clarke, Lady Yarrow|
(Court Asst, Feltmakers' Co.)
Sir Alan Colin Drake Yarrow, KStJ FCSI (born 27 June 1951) was Lord Mayor of London 2014–15. He is an investment banker, who has served as Chairman of the Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment (CISI) since 2009.
Yarrow was born at Johor Bahru, Malaysia, and attended Harrow School before studying at Manchester Business School.
Yarrow worked as a financier in the City of London for 37 years with Dresdner Kleinwort until December 2009 and latterly as Chairman of its UK banking operations. He has also been Deputy Chairman of the Financial Services Authority practitioner panel, as well as serving on the Council of the British Bankers' Association and the Takeover Panel.
Yarrow was appointed a Justice of the Peace (JP) for the Courts of England and Wales in London in 2007. Yarrow has represented the Ward of Bridge and Bridge Without since becoming a City Alderman in 2007. He was admitted as a Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Fishmongers in 2007. He has since become a member of the International Bankers', Glaziers' and Launderers' livery companies. He is an Honorary Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Scientific Instrument Makers.
Sir Alan served as Sheriff of London for 2011–2012. On 28 October 2014, he was elected to succeed Dame Fiona Woolf as the 687th Lord Mayor of London, serving for 2014–15. His responsibilities for his annual term as Lord Mayor commenced on 9 November 2014, the day before the Lord Mayor's Show. Among numerous other duties, Yarrow has promoted the City of London and UK financial services worldwide in liaison with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
Yarrow married Gillian (nee Clarke) in 1975. Lady Yarrow is a former teacher. The couple has two sons, Max and Guy. Lady Yarrow is Master of the Worshipful Company of Feltmakers.
Yarrow was knighted in the 2016 New Year Honours for "services to international business, inclusion and the City of London".
- – Knight Bachelor (2015)
- – KJStJ (2014)
- – Placa (Officer), Order of the Aztec Eagle (2015)
- Honorary Fellowship of Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment (FCSI) (2010).
- Honorary Doctor of Science Degree from the City, University of London on 17 December 2014.
- ^ "Inter-Livery Tennis Tournament 2014 « The Worshipful Company of Feltmakers of London". feltmakers.co.uk. Retrieved 5 February 2017.
- ^ Waller, Martin (8 November 2014). "Manifesto: troubled City turns to voice of experience". The Times.
- ^ "City of London – Member details – Sir Alan Colin Drake Yarrow (Alderman)". democracy.cityoflondon.gov.uk. Retrieved 5 February 2017.
- ^ "Fishmongers' Co. website". fishhall.org.uk. Retrieved 5 February 2017.
- ^ "The Review | CISI welcomes Alan Yarrow as the next Lord Mayor of the City of London". cisi.org. Retrieved 5 February 2017.
- ^ "Lord Mayor Yarrow's overseas programme". cityoflondon.gov.uk. Archived from the original on 24 October 2014. Retrieved 5 February 2017.
- ^ "Gillian Yarrow, our new Fourth Warden" (PDF). The Feltmaker.
- ^ "No. 61450". The London Gazette (Supplement). 30 December 2015. p. N2.
- ^ "New Year's Honours 2016 list" (PDF). GOV.UK. 30 December 2015. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- ^ "Honorary graduates chronological". city.ac.uk. Archived from the original on 12 June 2018.
- 1951 births
- Living people
- People from Johor
- People educated at Harrow School
- Alumni of the University of Manchester
- Knights of Justice of the Order of St John
- Councilmen and Aldermen of the City of London
- English bankers
- Knights Bachelor
- 21st-century lord mayors of London
- 21st-century British politicians
- Businesspeople awarded knighthoods