Alankrita Shrivastava, one of India’s leading contemporary writer-directors, most recently co-wrote and directed episodes of Amazon’s critically acclaimed series, Made in Heaven.
Alankrita’s latest feature, the Lipstick Under My Burkha. (2017) starring Konkona Sen Sharma and Ratna Pathak Shah, garnered wide praise and acclaim from audiences and critics alike around the world. It won numerous awards at several prestigious international film festivals including Tokyo, Glasgow, MAMI Mumbai Film Festival and IFFLA.
She has previously assisted noted Indian director Prakash Jha on films like Gangajal, Apaharan, and Rajneeti among others. She has also been associated with Sudhir Mishra’s critically acclaimed film Khoya Khoya Chand.
She is presently working on her next feature, Balaji Motion Pictures’ Dolly Kitty Aur Woh Chamakte Sitare, and is also developing an original series for an international platform.
Shrivastava at Stockholm Film Festival in 2016
|Alma mater||Lady Shri Ram College|
Jamia Millia Islamia
|Lipstick Under My Burkha|
Early life and education
Shrivastava is from Delhi and studied in an all-girls’ boarding school, Welham Girls' School in Dehradun and attended Lady Shri Ram College in Delhi. She completed her education at the A.J.K. Mass Communication Research Centre at Jamia Millia Islamia.
She moved to Mumbai and assisted Prakash Jha on many movies including Gangaajal, Apaharan, Loknayak, Dil Dosti, Khoya Khoya Chand, Raajneeti and more. Her diploma film was about her mother's battle against cancer. Followed by this, she wrote and directed her debut film Turning 30 
Both her parents were very supportive of her dreams, but her father died after a long illness in 2016. In an interview, she mentioned that she took to Buddhism and practices it daily. She currently lives and works in Mumbai.
|2005||Apaharan||Chief Assistant Director|
|2007||Dil Dosti Etc||Executive Producer|
|2007||Khoya Khoya Chand||Executive Producer|
|2011||Turning 30!!!||Director / Writer|
|2017||Lipstick Under My Burkha||Director / Writer|
|2019||Dolly Kitty Aur Woh Chamakte Sitare||Director / Writer|
|2019||Made in Heaven||Director / Writer|
- "ALANKRITA SHRIVASTAVA". Miami Film Festival. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "Alankrita Shrivastava: Storytelling has been controlled by men - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 22 November 2017.
- "Lipstick Under My Burkha director Alankrita Srivastava: The story of my women characters has become the story of the film". The Indian Express. 2 July 2017. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- "Female Idol Blog Series – Filmmaker Alankrita Shrivastava On 'Lipstick Under My Burkha' And More". WMF India. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "Lipstick Under My Burkha director Alankrita Srivastava: The story of my women characters has become the story of the film". The Indian Express. 2 July 2017. Retrieved 22 November 2017.
- LATA KHUBCHANDANI. "Alankrita Shrivastava". Outlook. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- ""Patriarchy knows no religion.": director Alankrita Shrivastava discusses "Lipstick Under My Bu..." Salon. 12 September 2017. Retrieved 22 November 2017.
- ""Made in Heaven is about society!"". Kovid Gupta Films. 2019. Retrieved 25 June 2019.
- "Always have to be defensive about my films: 'Lipstick Under My Burkha' director". The News Minute. 9 July 2017. Retrieved 20 July 2018.
- "30, Single, And Happy". India Times. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- KAORI SHOJI. "There's always drama at home". Japan Times. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
|This article about an Indian film director is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|