Alannah Hill (born 1963) is an Australian fashion designer, well known in Australia and internationally. She is the former owner of the "girly chic" fashion label and boutique chain, Alannah Hill.
Hill was born in Geeveston, Tasmania, but spent much of her childhood in the coastal town of Penguin. At the age of 17, she moved to Melbourne, Victoria where she hoped to establish an acting career. She did have one small acting role in the 1986 film Dogs in Space starring Michael Hutchence.
Whilst waitressing in a cafe, she was offered a job at a fashion store (Indigo) in Chapel Street, South Yarra, where she worked for fifteen years, before starting her own fashion design label in 1996.
Hill opened her first boutique in 1997, and with the financial backing of Melbourne-based business Factory X, established 42 Alannah Hill stores in Australia as well as being stocked in David Jones stores.
Alannah Hill brand "lost"
On 15 August 2013, Hill announced she had walked away from her fashion business following a dispute with the label's owner Factory X. Factory X will continue to operate the Alannah Hill stores, however, Hill will not design for, or have any further input into, the brand that bears her name. At the time of her announcement, Hill indicated that she wanted to continue in the fashion industry.
Alannah Hill now has her own fashion label called Louise Love. She currently designs for her small business, whilst Factory X designs for the brand that carries her own name.
Alannah has four siblings and she has a son, Edward, whose father is Karl Bartl, founder and designer of menswear brand, Jack London. She is in a relationship with rock musician and record producer, Hugo Race.
- Wells, Rachel: Running up that hill, The Age, 28 December 2006.
- Alannah Hill steps away from brand that bears her name | The Age 15 August 2013. Retrieved 15 August 2013
- Alannah Hill | Vogue Australia. Retrieved 16 August 2013
- Alannah Hill | Tasmanian Government. Retrieved 16 August 2013
- Alannah Hill, Vogue.
- Flamboyant designer Alannah Hill walks from own label | Herald Sun 15 August 2013. Retrieved 15 August 2013
- Death haunts fashion queen | The Mercury 15 July 2012. Retrieved 16 August 2013
- Lunch with Alannah Hill | Sydney Morning Herald 3 September 2011. Retrieved 15 August 2013