Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Elevation||787 ft (240 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||430040|
A post office was established at Alaska in 1868, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1904. The community was probably named in commemoration of the purchase of the Territory of Alaska.
Alaska is located at.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. October 25, 2007. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "Alaska, Indiana". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2017-04-30.
- "Morgan County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved April 30, 2017.
- Baker, Ronald L. (October 1995). From Needmore to Prosperity: Hoosier Place Names in Folklore and History. Indiana University Press. p. 47. ISBN 978-0-253-32866-3.
...so it was in the news when the post office was named Alaska.
- "Towns named after states". Reading Eagle. Jul 2, 1897. p. 3. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
|This Morgan County, Indiana location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Owen County, Indiana location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|