|Founded||Anchorage, Alaska (1998)|
|Bill Bishop, President and CEO|
Alaska Communications (formerly Alaska Communications Systems or ACS) is a telecommunications corporation headquartered in Anchorage, Alaska. It was the first telecommunications provider in the state of Alaska to maintain a third-generation wireless network and the only provider in Alaska that owned fully incorporated infrastructure for the major telecommunications platforms; wireless communications, Internet networking, and local and long-distance phone service. Alaska Communications wireline operations include advanced data networks and an underwater fiber optic system. The Alaska Communications wireless operations included a statewide 3G CDMA network, and coverage extended from the North Slope to Southeast Alaska.
The company was formed in 1998, when CenturyTel announced the sale of its Alaska operations (newly acquired from PacifiCorp) to local management and Fox Paine & Company. In 1999, Alaska Communications acquired Anchorage Telephone Utility from the Municipality of Anchorage.
On February 3, 2014, Alaska Communications announced its purchase of TekMate.
Alaska Communications has an agreement with Quintillion to use its submarine fiber optic cable to bring new services to some of Alaska's northernmost communities: Utqiaġvik, Nome, Kotzebue, Point Hope and Wainwright.
Business Technology Center
On June 9, 2016, Alaska Communications opened the Business Technology Center. The meeting space is open to community members, businesses, nonprofits and education organizations. It is located at 600 East 36th Ave, Anchorage, Alaska.
Alaska Communications supports United Way, Junior Achievement, the University of Alaska, 90% by 2020, and FIRST in Alaska. It also partners with Boys & Girls Clubs – Alaska to put on Summer of Heroes, a program which awards scholarships to youth who are engaged in community service.
- "ACS Alaska Press Release Introducing New CEO". Archived from the original on 2007-07-03. Retrieved 2006-12-01.
- "COMPANY NEWS; CENTURY TELEPHONE TO SELL ALASKA OPERATIONS". The New York Times. 1998-08-18. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2015-05-23.
- "Fox Paine & Company's Alaska Communications Systems to Acquire Anchorage Telephone Utility". Retrieved 2015-05-23.
- "Alaska Communications Announces Purchase of TekMate (NASDAQ:ALSK)". Archived from the original on 2017-08-30. Retrieved 2017-08-29.
- "Alaska Communications Completes the Sale of its Wireless Business" (PDF) (Press release). Alaska Communications. 2015-02-02.
- "Alaska Communications sold to East Coast firm and investors for $343 million". Anchorage Daily News. July 23, 2021.
- "Alaska Communications Signs Memorandum of Understanding with OneWeb to Become the First Reseller in Alaska" (PDF) (Press release). Alaska Communications. 2017-05-25.
- "Alaska Communications Contracts with Quintillion to Secure Fiber Optic Access for Northwest Alaska" (PDF) (Press release). Alaska Communications. 2017-03-08.
- "Business Technology Center Opens New Doors in Technology for Alaskans" (PDF) (Press release). Alaska Communications.
- "Our Work in the Community - Alaska Communications".
- "Summer of Heroes - Alaska Communications".
- Business data for Alaska Communications Group Inc: