William Martin Alastair Land
September 24, 1971
|Education||Manchester Grammar School|
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge (MA, PGCE)|
|Employer||Eton College |
William Martin Alastair Land (born 24 September 1971) is an English schoolmaster who has taught at Eton College and Winchester College, where he was Master in College, and has been headmaster of Repton School and Harrow School.
Early life and education
Born in Manchester in 1971, the son of Martin and Elaine Land (formerly Lightfoot), Land was educated at Manchester Grammar School and Trinity College, Cambridge, where he graduated with first-class honours in the Natural Sciences Tripos in 1994, then gained a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE).
In a gap year between leaving school and arriving at Cambridge, Land taught Geography and Science at the Budhanilkantha School in Kathmandu, Nepal, where he developed a love of extreme sports and travel.
Land's first teaching job after qualifying was at Eton College, where he was a master from 1994 until 2003, teaching Biology, coaching rugby, directing plays, and becoming Commanding Officer of the school CCF. In September 2003 he moved on to Winchester, where he was Master in College and led natural history expeditions, as well as chairing the Adventurous Training Committee, refereeing football, and serving as running coach. Next, from 2012 to 2015 he was deputy head master at Harrow, before being appointed as head of Repton School in 2016.
In April 2019 he was appointed as Head Master at Harrow.
He is a firm believer in the value of sport, not only as part of a balanced curriculum but also for developing character and lifelong friendships.
- "LAND (William Martin) Alastair" in Who's Who, online edition by Oxford University Press, undated, accessed 22 December 2020 (subscription required)
- "LAND William Martin A / LIGHTFOOT" in Register of Births for Manchester Registration District, vol. 10e (1971), p. 404
- The Linnean: Newsletter and Proceedings of the Linnean Society of London, Vols. 21-24, p. 2
- Sue Grief, Repton School's new Headmaster Alastair Land dated 19 September 2016 at derbyshirelife.co.uk, accessed 9 May 2019
- Alastair Land, Sport for all at ukbsa.com, accessed 10 May 2019
- "HARROW WELCOMES NEW HEAD MASTER, MR ALASTAIR LAND]". harrowschool.org.uk. 2019.