|Alastair Macdonald MBE|
|Known for||Deputy Director of the Directorate of Overseas Surveys c1971-1982
Director of Surveys and Production at Ordnance Survey 1982-1992
Macdonald decided to become a surveyor at the age of nine.
He joined the Directorate of Colonial Surveys in 1955, serving in field parties in Kenya, Southern Cameroons, Uganda, the Bahamas, Sarawak, Nyasaland, Bechuanaland and Zambia. In 1969 he was seconded to the government of Malawi.
In 2009 he was awarded an MBE for services to the resolution of boundary disputes in Africa and to cartography more generally.
- Mapping The World, A History of the Directorate of Overseas Surveys 1946-1985, Alastair Macdonald, 1996, 210 pages, HMSO, Norwich, ISBN 0-11-701590-3
- Macdonald, Alastair (1996). Mapping The World (1st ed.). Norwich, England: HMSO. pp. ii. ISBN 0-11-701590-3.
- "New future plotted for old mapping". Southampton, England: Ordnance Survey. 2005-09-19. Retrieved 1 February 2010.
- "Case concerning the land and maritime boundary between Cameroon and Nigeria" (PDF). International Court of Justice. 2002-10-10. Retrieved 1 February 2010.[dead link]
- London Gazette, 13 June 2009, pp. 25