Alavus city hall
Location of Alavus in Finland
|• Town manager||Pekka Ala-Mäenpää|
|• Total||1,151.46 km2 (444.58 sq mi)|
|• Land||790.42 km2 (305.18 sq mi)|
|• Water||52.31 km2 (20.20 sq mi)|
|Area rank||71st largest in Finland|
|• Rank||86th largest in Finland|
|• Density||14.61/km2 (37.8/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99.4% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||17.3%|
|• 15 to 64||61.3%|
|• 65 or older||21.4%|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.75%|
Alavus (Swedish: Alavo) is a municipality of Finland. It is located in the province of Western Finland and is part of the Southern Ostrobothnia region. The town has a population of 11,545 (31 January 2019) and covers an area of 1,151.46 square kilometres (444.58 sq mi) of which 52.31 km2 (20.20 sq mi) is water. The population density is 14.61 inhabitants per square kilometre (37.8/sq mi). Neighbouring municipalities are Alajärvi, Kuortane, Seinäjoki, Virrat and Ähtäri.
Agriculture and forestry employ a significant share of the population. Most of the industry in Alavus is related to construction: materials, design and contractors. Alavus has 60 lakes with 324 kilometres (201 mi) of shoreline. The town is unilingually Finnish.
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Tammikuu 2019" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
|This Western Finland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|