Alavus city hall
Location of Alavus in Finland
|• Town manager||Pekka Ala-Mäenpää|
|• Total||842.73 km2 (325.38 sq mi)|
|• Land||790.42 km2 (305.18 sq mi)|
|• Water||52.31 km2 (20.20 sq mi)|
|Area rank||138th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||113th largest in Finland|
|• Density||15.21/km2 (39.4/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99.4% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||17.3%|
|• 15 to 64||61.3%|
|• 65 or older||21.4%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.75%|
Alavus (Swedish: Alavo) is a municipality of Finland. It is located in the province of Western Finland and is part of the Southern Ostrobothnia region. The town has a population of 12,020 (31 March 2016) and covers an area of 842.73 square kilometres (325.38 sq mi) of which 52.31 km2 (20.20 sq mi) is water. The population density is 15.21 inhabitants per square kilometre (39.4/sq mi).
Agriculture and forestry employ a significant share of the population. Most of the industry in Alavus is related to construction: materials, design and contractors. Alavus has 60 lakes with 324 kilometres (201 mi) of shoreline. The town is unilingually Finnish.
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "Ennakkoväkiluku sukupuolen mukaan alueittain, maaliskuu.2016" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
|This Western Finland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|