|Member of the Northern Ireland Assembly
for North Belfast
25 June 1998 – 30 March 2016
|Preceded by||New Creation|
|Succeeded by||Nichola Mallon|
|42nd Lord Mayor of Belfast|
|Preceded by||Ian Adamson|
|Succeeded by||David Alderdice|
9 July 1950 |
Belfast, Northern Ireland
|Alma mater||Queen's University Belfast
University of Ulster
Early life and education
Whilst at university he became involved in the non-violent protests organised by the Northern Ireland Civil Rights Association. Maginness participated in the famous civil rights march in Derry in 1972 at which British troops killed 14 unarmed civilians. This event, now termed Bloody Sunday, has gone down in Northern Ireland politics as one of the turning points in The Troubles that contributed to the development of the Provisional IRA.
Maginness became increasingly involved in politics and became a member of the Social Democratic and Labour Party. He stood unsuccessfully for the party in East Belfast in the 1975 Constitutional Convention election and North Belfast in the 1982 Assembly election.
He has been an elected member of Belfast City Council since 1985 and in 1997 he became the first Catholic politician to hold the position of Lord Mayor of Belfast. In 1998 he was elected to the Northern Ireland Assembly to represent Belfast North.
He was Chair of the SDLP from 1984 to 1991.
Maginness was the SDLP candidate for the 2009 European Election.
Maginness accused the Secretary of State of interning dissident republican Marian Price without trial, saying "We do not support putting people away in prison because of intelligence or because of some political point of view and we are convinced that she has been detained without trial because of that by the secretary of state."
In 2012, 2014 and 2015, Maginness was one of a minority of SDLP MLAs to not vote in favour of same-sex marriage.
- "Profile: Alban Maginness". BBC News. 12 May 2009. Retrieved 23 April 2010.
- "Personal profile". Retrieved 2009-07-27.
- http://www.ucd.ie/ibis/filestore/newslet1.PDF%7CRedefining Northern Nationalism (Lecture in UCD, 2 October 2000
- Northern Ireland elections
- "Maginness' hairy moment for charity". BBC News. 14 November 2008. Retrieved 23 April 2010.
- "BBC News - Marian Price being interned says SDLP's Alban Maginness". BBC News. BBC News. Retrieved August 27, 2012.
- ."Assembly Proceedings".
- Biography: NI Assembly
- SDLP Councillor Alban Maginness MLA: Official Website
- 2005 SDLP profile at the Wayback Machine (archived January 25, 2005)
|Party political offices|
|Chairman of the Social Democratic and Labour Party
1984 - 1990
|Northern Ireland Forum|
|Member for North Belfast
1996 - 1998
|Northern Ireland Assembly|
|MLA for Belfast North
1998 - 2016
|Lord Mayor of Belfast