|Member of the Northern Ireland Assembly
for North Belfast
25 June 1998
|Preceded by||New Creation|
|42nd Lord Mayor of Belfast|
|Preceded by||Ian Adamson|
|Succeeded by||David Alderdice|
9 July 1950 |
Belfast, Northern Ireland
|Alma mater||Queen's University Belfast
University of Ulster
Alban Maginness MP (born 9 July 1950) is a politician from Holywood, Co. Down in Northern Ireland. He completed his grammar education at St. Malachy's College, Belfast. He then attended the University of Ulster and Queen's University of Belfast before being called to the Bar in 1976.
Whilst at university he became involved in the non-violent protests organised by the Northern Ireland Civil Rights Association. Maginness participated in the famous civil rights march in Derry in 1972 at which British troops killed 14 unarmed civilians. This event, now termed Bloody Sunday, has gone down in Northern Ireland politics as one of the turning points in The Troubles that contributed to the development of the Provisional IRA.
He has been an elected member of Belfast City Council since 1985 and in 1997 he became the first Catholic politician to hold the position of Lord Mayor of Belfast. In 1998 he was elected to the Northern Ireland Assembly to represent Belfast North.
He was Chair of the SDLP from 1984 to 1991.
In November 2008 Maginness had his trademark moustache shaved off for BBC's Children in Need.
Maginness was the SDLP candidate for the 2009 European Election.
Maginness accused the secretary of state of interning dissident republican Marian Price without trial, saying "We do not support putting people away in prison because of intelligence or because of some political point of view and we are convinced that she has been detained without trial because of that by the secretary of state."
In 2012, 2014 and 2015, Maginness was one of a minority of SDLP MLAs to not vote in favour of same-sex marriage.
- "Profile: Alban Maginness". BBC News. 12 May 2009. Retrieved 23 April 2010.
- "Personal profile". Retrieved 2009-07-27.
- http://www.ucd.ie/ibis/filestore/newslet1.PDF%7CRedefining Northern Nationalism (Lecture in UCD, 2 October 2000
- "Maginness' hairy moment for charity". BBC News. 14 November 2008. Retrieved 23 April 2010.
- "BBC News - Marian Price being interned says SDLP's Alban Maginness". BBC News. BBC News. Retrieved August 27, 2012.
- ."Assembly Proceedings".
- Biography: NI Assembly
- SDLP Councillor Alban Maginness MLA: Official Website
- 2005 SDLP profile at the Wayback Machine (archived January 25, 2005)
|Party political offices|
|Chairman of the Social Democratic and Labour Party
|Northern Ireland Assembly|
|MLA for Belfast North
|Lord Mayor of Belfast