Albania–Israel relations refer to the current, cultural and historical relations of Albania and Israel. Albania has an embassy in Tel Aviv and Israel has an embassy in Tirana. Diplomatic relations between the countries were established on August 20, 1991.
Albania has recognized Israel as a state since 1949.
|Population||2,876,591 (2017)||8,904,280 (2018)|
|Area||28,748 km2 (11,100 sq mi)||20,770 km2 (8,019 sq mi)|
|Population density||98/km2 (254/sq mi)||403/km2 (1,044/sq mi)|
|Largest city||Tirana – 557,422 (883,996 Metro)||Jerusalem – 901,302 (1,253,900 Metro)|
|Largest metro area||Tirana – 883,996||Tel Aviv-Yafo – 3,854,000|
|Government||Parliamentary republic||Parliamentary republic|
|First head of state||Progon, Lord of Kruja||David Ben-Gurion|
|Current head of state||Ilir Meta||Benjamin Netanyahu|
|Main religions||56.7% Muslim, 2.1% Bektashi
10% Catholic, 6.75% Orthodox, 5.5% Nondenominational
2.5% Atheist, 16.5% Other
|75.4% Jews, 20.89% Muslim, 7.8% others|
|Ethnic groups||98% Albanians, 1% Greeks, 1% Macedonians||75.4% Jews, 20.6% Arab, 4.1% others|
|GDP (nominal)||US$38.2 billion ($13,274 per capita)||US$305 billion ($38,004 per capita)|
|Military expenditures||$169.4 million (1.2% of GDP)||$23.2 billion (7.6% of GDP)|
Not only did the Albanians protect their own Jews, but they provided refuge for Jews from neighboring countries. The Albanians refused to comply and hand over lists of Jews. Instead they provided the Jewish families with forged documents and helped them disperse in the Albanian population. Some 1,200 Jewish residents and refugees from other Balkan countries were hidden by Albanian families during World War II, according to official records.
Righteous Among the Nations
Dr.Bardhyl Canj. 2016-present
- Foreign relations of Albania
- Foreign relations of Israel
- History of the Jews in Albania
- International recognition of Israel
- Albania and Israel in Accord To Establish Diplomatic Ties - New York Times
- . Jewish Voice NY. 31 December 2015 http://jewishvoiceny.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13303:israels-population-reaches-8462000-by-end-of-2015&catid=107:israel&Itemid=290. Retrieved 26 January 2016. Missing or empty
- "Israel - Labor Force". Moody's Analytics. Retrieved 24 October 2018.
- Sarner. Rescue in Albania: One Hundred Percent of Jews in Albania Rescued from the Holocaust, 1997.
- "Muslim Family Who Hid 26 Jews in Albania from the Nazis Honored by ADL" [Anti-Defamation League|http://www.adl.org/PresRele/HolNa_52/4963_52.htm Archived 2009-01-05 at the Wayback Machine]
- Escape Through the Balkans: the Autobiography of Irene Grunbaum (University of Nebraska Press, 1996)
- Jews had a 100% survival rate in Albania during the one year Nazi occupation:City-Journal.org/ Archived January 22, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- ["What's New at Yad Vashem"|http://www1.yadvashem.org/about_yad/what_new/gershman/temp_index_whats_new_Gershman.html[permanent dead link]] yadvashem.org. Retrieved on 2009-01-02.
- "Israeli Historians Study How Albanian Jews Escaped Holocaust". Archived from the original on 2008-06-09. Retrieved 2009-01-19.
- "Israeli aid around world disasters". Archived from the original on 2007-08-14. Retrieved 2009-03-26.