Albanian Land Force
|Albanian Land Force
Coat of Arms of the Albanian Land Forces
|Allegiance||Republic of Albania|
|Part of||Albanian Armed Forces|
The Albanian Land Force (ALF) (Albanian: Forca Tokësore (FTSH)) is the most important branch of the Albanian Armed Forces. They are composed of: the The Land Force structure includes the Command and the Staff of LF, as well as units and subunits which make possible the fulfillment of its mission. Command and Staff Staff Support Company Training Centre “Zall-Herr” Garrison 1st Infantry Battalion 2nd Infantry Battalion 3rd Infantry Battalion Commando Battalion Special Operations Battalion (Albania) Combat Support Battalion .
Its main mission is the defence of independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Republic of Albania, participation in humanitarian, combat, non-combat and peace support operations.
- Maintaining and development of capacities to provide a high level of readiness.
- Continuous and good training to deal with the tasks that might be assigned to it.
- Assists the community in cases of humanitarian emergencies; supports Search and Rescue Operations(SAR).
- Cooperates with other national institutions in preventing illegal trafficking, smuggling of people and conventional weapons in Albania.
- Trains and participates with troops in peace support missions in the framework of NATO, EU and UN.
Land Force is a priority unit in the structure of the Armed Forces. Land Force was established on August 29, 2000, including military units with traditions and rich multi-year activity, spread across the territory of the Republic of Albania. In year 2000, the Land Force included five infantry divisions with 55 brigades and 300 battalions deployed in 167 different regions of the country. During its continuous reform, the Land Force underwent new changes. In year 2006, the Land Force was suppressed and the Joint Force Command was established. In the context of the ongoing transformation of the Armed Forces, based on the concept of an army small in number, operational and professional, on the 9th of December 2009 was reestablished the Land Force on the basis of Rapid Reaction Brigade and Commando Regiment.
Based on the constitutional mission, the Land Force was involved in a process of profound transformation according to Western military concepts, and with the transition of the entire force from a conscript military service into a professional army its level of operability has increased. The structures of Land Force have been engaged in Peace Support Operations in Bosnia-Herzegovina, Iraq, Chad and currently in Heart and Kandahar, Afghanistan. Land Force has the major share in peacekeeping operations in the framework of NATO, UN and EU. The Land Force is managed by young qualified leaders educated in military schools of NATO countries, as in the USA, Italy, Turkey, Germany, England, Austria, etc, based on the cooperation projects with these countries.
Land Force is engaged in civil emergency operations to help the community in cases of natural disasters, such as floods, blocked roads and aid distribution in cases of heavy snowfalls, fire suppression operations, etc.
Since its establishment, the Land Force is led by experienced commanders.
From year 2000 to 2006, Land Force was headed by Major General Kostaq Karoli; from 2006-2008, it was led by Brigadier General Shpëtim Spahiu; from year 2008 to August 2012 by Brigadier General Viktor Berdo. From August 2012 and onwards, the Land Force is commanded by Major General Zyber Dushku.
- Pistol and Submachine guns
|Beretta Px4 Storm||9x19mm||Italy||In use with the B.O.S|
|P8 Pistol||9x19 mm||Germany||Limited use in the B.O.S.|
|P12 Pistol||.45 ACP||Germany||Limited use in the B.O.S.|
|Beretta 92||9x19 mm||Italy||In use with the B.O.S.|
|HK MP7||HK 4.6×30 mm||Germany||Limited use in the B.O.S. Mostly used by the RENEA, the Albanian police |
|HK UMP||.45 ACP||Germany||Limited use in the B.O.S.|
- Assault Rifles, Battle Rifles and Carbines
|M4 carbine||5.56×45mm||United States||3 March 2015|
|ASH-82||7.62×39 mm||Soviet Union||3.000.000|
|ASH-78 Tip-1||7.62×39 mm||China||Service Rifle, to be retired|
|HK G36||5.56×45 mm||Germany||350|
|HK 416||5.56×45 mm||Germany||200|
|HK G3||7.62×51 mm||Germany||Used during peacekeeping operations|
|Beretta ARX-160||5.56×45 mm||Italy||Used by the B.O.S. And Military Police 4000 |
- Sniper Rifles
|Sako TRG||.308 Winchester||Finland|||
|Barrett M99||.50 BMG||United States||~|
|Steyr HS .50||.50 BMG||Austria||~|
|Land Rover Wolf||Armoured Vehicle||United Kingdom||80|
|Mercedes-Benz G Class||Armoured Vehicle||Germany||150|
|Iveco VM 90||Armoured Vehicle||Italy||250|
|Iveco LMV||Armoured Vehicle||Italy||15|
|HUMVEE||Armoured Vehicle||United States||30|
|MRAP||Armoured Vehicle||United States||50|
|Nexter Aravis||Armoured Vehicle||France||5+|
|Nexter Titus 6x6||Armoured Vehicle||France||1+|
|M113||Armoured Vehicle||United States||130|
Heavy armoured and tanks
|Type-59||Main battle tank||China||40|
- IISS 2010, pp. 119–120
- "Forcat e Armatosura të Shqipërisë". aaf.mil.al. 2015.
- "hk in albania". Youtube.com. 2007-12-26. Retrieved August 11, 2013.
- Janq Designs. "Special Operations.Com". Special Operations.Com. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- Tom Kington (September 10, 2009). "Mexico joins Albania and Italy as customer for new Beretta rifle,". DefenceNews. Retrieved August 11, 2013.
- Eric R. Poole (April 2010). "Sako TRG-42 The quest for cold-bore accuracy stops here.". Gunsandammo.com. Retrieved August 11, 2013.
- http://www.aaf.mil.al/english/index.php/land-force Mission of Albanian land forces
- http://www.aaf.mil.al/english/index.php/land-force Specific tasks of Albanian land forces
- http://www.aaf.mil.al/english/index.php/land-force/126-historiku-i-forces-tokesore History of Albanian land forces
- http://www.armyrecognition.com/world-army-equipment-topmenu-993/east-europe-topmenu-85/albania-topmenu-742?task=view&id=2576 Heavy armoured and tanks Albanian Armed Forces
- http://www.armyrecognition.com/world-army-equipment-topmenu-993/east-europe-topmenu-85/albania-topmenu-742?task=view&id=2576 Mortar