Albany–Stony Brook football rivalry
|First meeting||November 18, 1995|
Stony Brook 40, Albany 21
|Latest meeting||November 23, 2019|
Albany 31, Stony Brook 26
|Next meeting||November 21, 2020|
|Trophy||The Golden Apple Trophy|
|All-time series||Albany leads, 13–8|
|Trophy series||Albany, 3–2|
|Largest victory||Albany, 40–7 (2003)|
|Longest win streak||Albany, 6 (1996–2001)|
|Current win streak||Albany, 2 (2018–present)|
|Locations of Albany and Stony Brook|
The Albany–Stony Brook football rivalry, also known as the Empire Clash and the Battle for the Apple, is an American college football rivalry between the Albany Great Danes and the Stony Brook Seawolves. Both teams represent University centers of the State University of New York, and since 2013 have competed together as football-only members of the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA). The two teams have met 21 times on the football field, with Albany currently holding a 13–8 edge in the all-time series. Albany leads 8–7 since 1999, when both programs moved up to Division I.
Since 2013, when both programs joined the CAA together, they have been meeting yearly as part of their conference schedule. The rivalry game was coined the "Empire Clash" in 2013 during their first CAA conference game against each other. Starting in 2015, the winner of the game is awarded The Golden Apple Trophy.
Albany plays home games at Bob Ford Field (capacity 8,500, grass surface, located in Albany, NY) and Stony Brook plays home games at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium (capacity 12,300, artificial turf surface, located in Stony Brook, NY).
|Albany victories||Stony Brook victories|
|1||November 18, 1995A||Albany, NY||Stony Brook||40–21|
|2||October 19, 1996A||Stony Brook, NY||Albany||19–12|
|3||October 18, 1997A||Albany, NY||Albany||30–23|
|4||October 17, 1998A||Stony Brook, NY||Albany||42–16|
|5||October 2, 1999||Albany, NY||Albany||44–21|
|6||September 30, 2000||Stony Brook, NY||Albany||47–14|
|7||September 29, 2001||Albany, NY||Albany||28–18|
|8||September 28, 2002||Stony Brook, NY||Stony Brook||24–20|
|9||October 25, 2003||Albany, NY||Albany||40–7|
|10||October 23, 2004||Stony Brook, NY||Albany||27–22|
|11||October 8, 2005||Albany, NY||Stony Brook||7–3|
|12||October 7, 2006||Stony Brook, NY||Stony Brook||33–21|
|13||October 6, 2007||Albany, NY||Albany||24–23|
|14||November 26, 2011B||Stony Brook, NY||Stony Brook||31–28|
|15||November 23, 2013||Stony Brook, NY||Stony Brook||24–3|
|16||November 22, 2014||Albany, NY||Albany||27–17|
|17||November 21, 2015||Stony Brook, NY||Stony Brook||20–2|
|18||November 19, 2016||Albany, NY||Albany||13–6|
|19||November 4, 2017||Stony Brook, NY||Stony Brook||28–21OT|
|20||November 17, 2018||Albany, NY||Albany||25–23|
|21||November 23, 2019||Stony Brook, NY||Albany||31–26|
|Series: Albany leads 13–8|
|Note:A pre-Division I |
Note:B 2011 FCS 1st Round Playoff Game; Source:
- "Stony Brook travels to UAlbany for the Empire Clash - Stony Brook University". Stony Brook University Athletics. Retrieved 2018-11-12.
- "UAlbany set to face Stony Brook in 'Empire Clash'". UAlbanySports.com. Retrieved 2018-11-12.
- "Seawolves Put Together a Total Team Effort to Take Down No. 11 Delaware - Stony Brook University". Stony Brook University Athletics. Retrieved 2018-11-12.
- "Seawolves Travel to UAlbany for the Annual "Battle for the Apple" - Stony Brook University Athletics". Stony Brook University Athletics. Retrieved 2018-11-15.
- "CAA eyes all-sports expansion". ESPN. August 8, 2012. Archived from the original on September 6, 2015. Retrieved 2013-02-21.
- "Football Announces Inaugural CAA Season Schedule". ualbanysports.com. Retrieved 2013-02-21.
- "UAlbany draws former rival Stony Brook". Times Union. November 20, 2011. Archived from the original on September 6, 2015. Retrieved 2013-02-21.
- "ITS OFFICIAL! UAlbany Football Announces Its Move To The CAA For 2013". ualbanysports.com. August 8, 2012. Retrieved 2013-02-21.
- "Stony Brook, UAlbany introduce the battle for The Golden Apple - Stony Brook University". Stony Brook University Athletics. Retrieved 2018-11-12.
- "SUNY-Albany vs SUNY-Stony Brook (NY)". College Football Data Warehouse. Archived from the original on September 6, 2015. Retrieved 2015-03-19.