|Born||1961 (age 55–56)
|Awards||International Award, Council of Fashion Designers of America (2005)|
Alber Elbaz was born in 1961 in Casablanca, Morocco. He immigrated to Israel with his family at the age of 10 and grew up in Holon. After serving in the Israeli Defense Forces, he studied at the Shenkar College of Engineering and Design in Ramat Gan. His life partner is Alex Koo, Lanvin's director of marketing.
Art and graphics
In 2006, Elbaz introduced new packaging for Lanvin, featuring a light forget-me-not blue color, a favorite shade which Lanvin purportedly had seen in a Fra Angelico fresco. Packaging included shopping bags imprinted with Paul Iribe's 1907 illustration of Lanvin and her daughter Marguerite, and shoe boxes designed like antique library files, tied with black ribbons to emphasize the precious nature of the product.
In 2012, Rizzoli published a book of 3,000 photographs documenting Elbaz's work for Lanvin.
Awards and recognition
- International Award, Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA), June 2005
- Chevalier of the Légion d'Honneur, Paris, January 25, 2007
- One of Time magazine's 100 Most Influential People in the World, 2007
- Honorary doctorate awarded by the Royal College of Art, July 2014.
Elbaz's simple, feminine clothing, which has been compared to Lanvin's 1920s outfits, has been lauded by the fashion press. Suzy Menkes wrote: "Elbaz is every woman's darling. And that includes Nicole, Kate, Chloë Sevigny, Sofia Coppola and a slew of rising movie names."
- "Alber Elbaz - Prestige Magazine". 2015-03-04. Retrieved 2016-08-11.
- "The Tatler List". Tatler.
- "Couture for Everyday". LUX Magazine. September 2013.
- "Alber Elbaz Pushed Out at Lanvin". WWD. Retrieved 2015-10-28.
- Vogue's Alber Elbaz Biography
- The New Yorker:Profil Alber Ebaz
- CONLON, SCARLETT. "Confirmed: Alber Elbaz Departing Lanvin". Retrieved 24 September 2016.
- Minow, Nell. "Interview: Natalie Portman on “A Tale of Love and Darkness”". Archived from the original on 24 September 2016. Retrieved 24 September 2016.
- "Mika and Lanvin book launch". www.vogue.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-08-04.
- The Inside Story of a Couture Dream in the Making
- The Time 100, Natalie Portman May 03, 2007
- "Honorary Doctors". RCA. Archived from the original on 15 March 2015. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- "At Lanvin, a master of improvisation", Suzy Menkes, International Herald Tribune, May 24, 2005