Albert, 8th Prince of Thurn and Taxis
|Prince of Thurn and Taxis|
|Head of the House of Thurn and Taxis|
|Period||2 June 1885 – 22 January 1952|
8 May 1867|
Regensburg, Kingdom of Bavaria
|Died||22 January 1952
Regensburg, Bavaria, West Germany
|Burial||Gruftkapelle, Saint Emmeram's Abbey, Regensburg|
|Spouse||Archduchess Margarethe Klementine of Austria|
|Issue||Franz Joseph, 9th Prince of Thurn and Taxis
Prince Joseph Albert
Karl August, 10th Prince of Thurn and Taxis
Prince Ludwig Philipp
Prince Max Emanuel
Elisabeth Helene, Margravine of Meissen
Prince Raphael Rainer
Prince Philipp Ernst
|House||Thurn and Taxis|
|Father||Maximilian Anton Lamoral, Hereditary Prince of Thurn and Taxis|
|Mother||Duchess Helene in Bavaria|
Albert Maria Joseph Maximilian Lamoral, 8th Prince of Thurn and Taxis (full German name: Albert Maria Joseph Maximilian Lamoral Fürst von Thurn und Taxis; 8 May 1867, Regensburg, Kingdom of Bavaria – 22 January 1952, Regensburg, Bavaria, Germany) was the eighth Prince of Thurn and Taxis and Head of the Princely House of Thurn and Taxis from 2 June 1885 until his death on 22 January 1952.
Albert was born at Regensburg, Germany, the younger son of Maximilian Anton Lamoral, Hereditary Prince of Thurn and Taxis (1831–1867) and Duchess Helene in Bavaria (1834–1890). His father died when he was less than two months old, and he was raised by his mother.
In 1871 Albert's grandfather Maximilian Karl died, and his older brother Maximilian Maria succeeded as Fürst. Maxmilian died 2 June 1885 and Albert succeeded as Fürst; his mother served as regent until his 21st birthday in 1888. On 8 May 1889 he was named Duke of Wörth and Donaustauf by Luitpold, Prince Regent of Bavaria. On 30 November 1889 he was made a knight of the Austrian Order of the Golden Fleece.
Marriage and issue
On 15 July 1890 in Budapest, Hungary, Albert married Archduchess Margarethe Klementine of Austria (6 July 1870 – 2 May 1955), daughter of Archduke Joseph Karl of Austria. Albert purchased the 'Empress Eugenie Tiara' as a wedding present for Margarethe; the tiara, designed by Gabriel Lemmonier in 1853, was part of the French crown jewels and is now in the Louvre in Paris.
- Franz Joseph, 9th Prince of Thurn and Taxis (21 December 1893 – 13 July 1971), married Princess Isabel Maria of Braganza, daughter of Miguel, Duke of Braganza
- Prince Joseph Albert of Thurn and Taxis (4 November 1895 – 7 December 1895)
- Karl August, 10th Prince of Thurn and Taxis (23 July 1898 – 26 April 1982), married Princess Maria Anna of Braganza, daughter of Miguel, Duke of Braganza
- Prince Ludwig Philipp of Thurn and Taxis (2 February 1901 – 22 April 1933), married Princess Elisabeth of Luxembourg, daughter of Grand Duke William IV of Luxembourg
- Prince Max Emanuel of Thurn and Taxis (1 March 1902 – 3 October 1994)
- Princess Elisabeth Helene of Thurn and Taxis (15 December 1903 – 22 October 1976), married Friedrich Christian, Margrave of Meissen
- Prince Raphael Rainer of Thurn and Taxis (30 May 1906 – 8 June 1993), married Princess Margarete of Thurn and Taxis; father of Prince Max Emanuel of Thurn and Taxis, the current heir presumptive to Thurn and Taxis.
- Prince Philipp Ernst of Thurn and Taxis (7 May 1908 – 23 July 1964), married Princess Eulalia of Thurn and Taxis
Albert, Prince of Thurn and Taxis
|Reference style||His Serene Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Serene Highness|
Albert died at Regensburg where he is buried with his wife in the crypt chapel of Schloss St. Emmeram, formerly St. Emmeram's Abbey.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
- 8 May 1867 – 10 November 1870: His Serene Highness Prince Albert of Thurn and Taxis
- 10 November 1870 – 2 June 1885: His Serene Highness The Hereditary Prince of Thurn and Taxis
- 2 June 1885 – 22 January 1952: His Serene Highness The Prince of Thurn and Taxis
- Grand Master of the Order of Parfaite Amitié
- Knight of the Austrian Order of the Golden Fleece
- In 1923 Albert received an honorary doctorate of philosophy from the University of Innsbruck.
- Darryl Lundy (27 Jan 2009). "Albrecht Maria Joseph VIII Fürst von Thurn und Taxis". ThePeerage.com. Retrieved 21 June 2009.
- Paul Theroff. "THURN und TAXIS". Paul Theroff's Royal Genealogy Site. Retrieved 21 June 2009.
- "1890 Margarethe & Albert of Thurn and Taxis". Grand Ladies: Belle Epoque.
- "Magnificent Jewels and Noble Jewels" (PDF). Sothebys.[permanent dead link]
Albert, 8th Prince of Thurn and Taxis
Cadet branch of the House of TassisBorn: 8 May 1867 Died: 22 January 1952
|Prince of Thurn and Taxis
2 June 1885 – 22 January 1952