|Albert "Al" Gilbert|
November 18, 1922|
|Awards||Order of Canada|
He was born in Toronto, Ontario into a family of Ukrainian-Jewish origin. He began working with his father, Nathan Gittelmacher, who was also a photographer. Since 1950, he has photographed all of the Prime Ministers of Israel.
He was awarded the Photographer of the Year Award from the Professional Photographers of Canada in 1968, 1969, and 1973. He is a Fellow of the Professional Photographers of Canada, a Fellow of the Royal Photographic Society of Great Britain and a Fellow of the American Society of Photographers.
His son, Michael Gilbert, is also a photographer.
- Anne Tucker; Harlow Tighe; R. Eric Davis; Maggie Olvey; William R. Thompson (1996). Sonia and Kaye Marvins portrait collection. Museum of Fine Arts (Houston). p. 22. ISBN 0-89090-068-X.
- "Judaica Canadian: An Ambassador of Canadian Photography". The Royal Philatelic Society of Canada.
- Ontario Jewish Archives. "Al Gilbert". Retrieved 18 November 2015.
- "News release". United Jewish Communities. Archived from the original on 2011-07-24.
- "Member Record". Professional Photographers of Canada. Archived from the original on 2011-07-06.
- "ASP Fellowship". American Society of Photographers.[permanent dead link]
- "Order of Canada citation".
- "Past Exhibitions: 4 Generations of Photography by the Gilbert Family". Joseph D. Carrier Art Gallery. Archived from the original on 2009-01-29.