Albert Rivera during 32nd Goya Awards in 2018
|Leader of the Citizens Party|
|Assumed office |
9 July 2006
|Preceded by||Position established|
|Member of the Congress of Deputies|
|Assumed office |
7 January 2016
|Member of the Catalan Parliament|
1 November 2006 – 4 August 2015
Albert Rivera Díaz
15 November 1979
|Political party||Socialists' Party of Catalonia (2003)|
People's Party (2003–2005)
|Spouse(s)||Beatriz Tajuelo (w-2006)|
|Alma mater||Ramon Llull University|
Albert Rivera Díaz, formerly named Alberto Carlos Rivera Díaz (born 15 November 1979) is a Spanish lawyer and politician, who has been the leader of Citizens since July 2006. He is a member of the Congress of Deputies and a former member of the Parliament of Catalonia.
Early life and education
Rivera was born in Barcelona. Albert Rivera Díaz is the only child of Agustín Rivera, member of a working class family from La Barceloneta, and María Jesús Díaz, who had emigrated aged 13 from the small town of Cútar to follow in the footsteps of her elder brother, who had opened an electrical appliances shop.
As a child, Albert spent several summers in Cútar. Over the years, most of his maternal family also moved to Catalonia, except from his grandfather Lucas Díaz, who had been the first to emigrate in the 1960s to France and then to Switzerland.
Eventually his parents' opened their own business and moved to live in La Ametlla, where they sent their son to the private la Escola Cervetó school.
He went on to study law at ESADE, part of the Ramon Llull University, completing the degree in 2001. He completed a master's degree in constitutional law from the same institution in 2002. He also studied for one year at the University of Helsinki in Finland, as part of an Erasmus scholarship. He has also taken a course at the George Washington University in political marketing.
After starting his degree in law, he began to be interested in politics by taking part in a debating competition.
Once he completed his university studies, Rivera began working as a legal counsel at the La Caixa savings bank in 2003. He stopped working for La Caixa in 2006 when he became the president of Citizens.
Rivera was elected as the president of Citizens during their founding conference in July 2006. He was re-elected as president again in 2007 and 2011.
Rivera was first elected to the Parliament of Catalonia in the 2006 parliamentary election, and remained a member until he stepped down before the 2015 parliamentary election. Launching the Citizen's campaign for the Parliament of Catalonia in 2006, Rivera published a number of leaflets where he posed naked alongside the caption: "We don't care where you were born. We don't care which language you speak. We don't care what kind of clothes you wear. We care about you". Rivera, and the wider Citizens party, are opposed to Catalan independence.
- Sardá, Juan (30 de abril de 2015). «ECútar: 600 habitantes y un candidato a la presidencia del gobierno». Vanity Fair. Consultado el 26 de octubre de 2015.
- González, Germán (16 de marzo de 2014). «El nieto de Lucas». Sur. Consultado el 26 de octubre de 2015.
- "elmundo.es - Elecciones autonómicas de Cataluña". www.elmundo.es.
- Valdivia, Antonio Ruiz (22 February 2015). "23 cosas que no sabías de Albert Rivera". El Huffington Post (in Spanish). Retrieved 16 December 2015.
- "Currículum Vitae de Albert Rivera". Modelo Curriculum (in Spanish). Retrieved 16 December 2015.
- Clark, Amy (7 October 2006). "Candidate Bares Naked Truth, Literally". CBS News. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "Clean hands". The Economist. 19 December 2015. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- Press, Europa (31 May 2017). "Rivera debuta ante el Club Bilderberg y acompaña a Guindos, Botín y a Cebrián en la delegación española".
Media related to Albert Rivera at Wikimedia Commons
|This article about a Catalan politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Spanish lawyer, judge or jurist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|