Alberto Aguilar Leiva
|Full name||Alberto Aguilar Leiva|
|Date of birth||12 July 1984|
|Place of birth||Benamejí, Spain|
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Playing position||Defensive midfielder / Centre back|
|2015–2016||Western Sydney Wanderers||23||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 26 February 2017.
Alberto Aguilar Leiva (born 12 July 1984), known simply as Alberto, is a Spanish professional footballer who plays for Cypriot club Anorthosis Famagusta FC as a defensive midfielder or central defender.
Alberto was born in Benamejí, Córdoba. A product of Málaga CF's youth system he made his professional debuts for the first team in the last match of the 2002–03 season, a 0–1 La Liga away loss against RCD Mallorca, while also helping the B-side achieve a 2003 promotion to Segunda División.
For the 2005–06 campaign, Alberto signed with Madrid's Getafe CF, amassing 30 top flight appearances in his first two years combined and also playing an important part in the team's runner-up run in the Copa del Rey. However, the arrival of coach Michael Laudrup deemed him surplus to requirements in his third, which prompted a release in January 2008 with a move to second level club Granada 74 CF.
Alberto's older brother, Eduardo, is also a footballer, and a midfielder. Having spent almost his entire career in the lower leagues, he appeared twice in the first division for Racing de Santander, adding two games in the second level (one for FC Barcelona B and Deportivo Alavés each).
- "Triunfo 'in extremis' del Mallorca" ['In extremis' win for Mallorca]. El Mundo (in Spanish). 21 June 2003. Retrieved 16 September 2015.
- "Alberto se marcha al Granada 74 decepcionado con Laudrup" [Alberto leaves for Granada 74 disappointed in Laudrup]. Diario AS (in Spanish). 26 December 2007. Retrieved 16 September 2015.
- "Alberto Aguilar rescinde contrato con el Albacete" [Alberto Aguilar terminates contract with Albacete]. Marca (in Spanish). 16 July 2010. Retrieved 16 September 2015.
- "Alberto Aguilar rescinde con el Albacete para fichar por el Córdoba" [Alberto Aguilar terminated with Albacete to sign for Córdoba]. Diario AS (in Spanish). 16 July 2010. Retrieved 16 September 2015.
- "Alberto Aguilar, séptimo fichaje de la Deportiva" [Alberto Aguilar, seventh Deportiva addition] (in Spanish). El Bierzo Noticias. 15 July 2013. Retrieved 16 September 2015.
- "Western Sydney Wanderers sign third Spanish player – Alberto Aguilar". The Sydney Morning Herald. 9 August 2015. Retrieved 11 August 2015.
- "A-League grand final 2016: Adelaide United beat Western Sydney Wanderers to claim first title". The Sydney Morning Herald. 1 May 2016. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
- "Wanderers announce player departures". Western Sydney Wanderers. 5 May 2016. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
- "Κατ' αρχήν συμφωνία με Alberto Aguilar Leiva" [Agreement in principle with Alberto Aguilar Leiva] (in Greek). Anorthosis Famagusta. 22 June 2016. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- Edu Aguilar: Eduardo Aguilar Leiva; at BDFutbol