|Born||22 August 1931|
Mexico City, Mexico
|Education||Culver Military Academy|
Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (ITAM)
|Occupation||Owner, Peñoles and El Palacio de Hierro|
|Net worth||US$10.1 billion (January 2021)|
|Children||7, including Alejandro Baillères|
Alberto Baillères (born 22 August 1931) is a Mexican billionaire businessman. As of 2021[update], he has an estimated net worth of US$10.1 billion according to Forbes. He is the chairman of Grupo BAL, and of ITAM.
He was born in Mexico City, the son of Raúl Baillères. Baillères attended Culver Military Academy, in Culver, Indiana, US. In 1953 he received a bachelor's degree in economics from Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (ITAM), in Mexico City.
He owns Grupo BAL, which controls a large number of other companies including Industrias Peñoles / Peñoles, the second most important Mexican mining company and the world's largest silver producer, El Palacio de Hierro, a chain of department stores mainly located in Mexico City, Grupo Nacional Provincial, the only entirely Mexican owned insurance company, Grupo Profuturo, a pensions and annuities business. He sits on the board of directors of Fresnillo plc.
He is also a head member of the board of ITAM, one of Mexico's top higher education centers and thinktank, and owner of other businesses related with financial services, agriculture and bullfighting. He is the owner of the 92m yacht Mayan Queen IV.
As of October 2012, Bloomberg lists Baillères as the 35th richest person in the world with an estimated net worth of US $19.3 billion.
Belisario Domínguez Medal of Honor
- "Alberto Bailleres Gonzalez & family". Forbes. Retrieved 22 January 2021.
- "Bloomberg Billionaires Index". Bloomberg LP. Archived from the original on 14 December 2012.
- "Grupo BAL". Bal.com.mx. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- "Bienvenido a" (in Spanish). www.itam.mx. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- "Alberto Baillères - Creating Emerging Markets - Harvard Business School". www.hbs.edu. Retrieved 9 August 2017.
- Fresnillo Board biography Archived 11 May 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- "93.25m Blohm + Voss, Mayan Queen IV photos, specs and timeline". Yacht Harbour. Retrieved 12 October 2017.
- "La Medalla de Honor Belisario Domínguez 2015: un premio a la desigualad". La Jornada de San Luis (in Spanish). 12 November 2015. Retrieved 28 August 2020.
- "Alberto Baillères, el multimillonario discreto". abc. 17 January 2015. Retrieved 4 January 2019.