Albertson (LIRR station)
Albertson station as seen from the grade crossing at I.U. Willets Road.
|Location||I.U. Willets Road & Albertson Avenue
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Opened||March 1874 (as a milk station)
June 1875 (flag stop)
Albertson is a station along the Oyster Bay Branch of the Long Island Rail Road. The station is on the north side of I.U. Willets Road Albertson Avenue and the Clark Botanic Garden in Albertson, New York. However the parking lot is on the south side of I.U. Willets Road.
The station was originally opened with name Albertson's and originally opened as a milk station in March 1874 and opened as a flag stop in June 1875 by the Glen Cove Branch Rail Road. The station was renamed as Albertson in 1903. The station had a depot building built in 1911, and it lasted until 1954, when it was razed. In 1960, the LIRR planned to close the station as well as East Williston station and replace them both with a single station between the two sites. However public opposition to the proposal cancelled those plans. Between the Fall of 1997 and the Fall of 1998, high level concrete platforms were built with ramps.
The station has two slightly offset high-level side platforms, each four cars long.
Entrance/exit and parking
|Platform A, doors will open on the right|
|Track 1||← Oyster Bay Branch toward Jamaica, Hunterspoint or Penn (East Williston)
|Track 2||Oyster Bay Branch toward Oyster Bay (Roslyn) →|
|Platform B, doors will open on the right|
- Average weekday, 2006 LIRR Origin and Destination Study
- The Long Island Rail Road: The age of expansion, 1863-1880 Vincent Seyfried Page 203 Archived 2014-12-20 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Underutilized Tracks: A Chronicle of Electric Train Service to East Williston and a History of the Neighboring Communities". Derek Stadler. Retrieved 2015-12-28.
- LIRR Station History (TrainsAreFun.com)
- "2 L.I. Stations Kept: Railroad Blows to Opponents of Single One in Between," (New York Times; May 19, 1960)
- Official LIRR station information page for Albertson
- Station timetable for Albertson
- Albertson Station (Unofficial LIRR History Website)
- Station from I.U. Willets Road from Google Maps Street View
- Platforms from Google Maps Street View
|This New York train station–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|