The church of Our Lady, in Albignac
|Intercommunality||Canton de Beynat|
|• Mayor (2008–2020)||Alain Simonet|
|Area1||9.74 km2 (3.76 sq mi)|
|• Density||25/km2 (65/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||19003 / 19190|
|Elevation||154–509 m (505–1,670 ft)
(avg. 340 m or 1,120 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Albussacois or Albussacoises
Albignac is located some 15 km east of Brive-la-Gaillarde and 20 km south by south-east of Saint-Germain-les-Vergnes. Access to the commune from the south is by the D175 road which branches from the D921 east of Lanteuil. The D175 goes to the village of Albignac then continues north to the hamlet of La Borie and joins the D130 inside the commune. The D130 enters the commune from Aubazine in the north by a circuitous route through La Viallard and exiting the commune in the south-east towards Fontourcy. The D14 road also runs from north to south inside the western side of the commune. There is an extensive network of country roads in the commune. The commune is mixed farmland and forest.
A number of streams cross the commune feeding into the Roanne with the Donjou stream traversing the commune from east to west into the Roanne river which forms both the western and southern borders of the commune. The Roanne flows north into the Correze river at Confolens.
There are a substantial number of hamlets in the commune. These are:
- la Borie
- la Borie-Blanche
- le Bournazel
- la Crozade
- le Juge
- le Prieur
- la Rivière
- les Sautes
- la Tronche
- la Verde
- le Viallard
- la Voûte
Albignac comes from the Latin name of a man called Albinus or Albinius.
It was called Albiniaco in 1095.
In the 12th century, Albignac depended on the Viscount of Gimel.
Azure, a cross of Or at 1 and 4 a roundel the same, at 2 and 3 a tusk of a boar argent.
List of Successive Mayors of Albignac
|1865||1870||Jean-Barthélémi Juin Lamiraudie|
(Not all data is known)
In 2010, the commune had 244 inhabitants. The evolution of the number of inhabitants is known through the population censuses conducted in the town since 1793. From the 21st century, a census of municipalities with fewer than 10,000 inhabitants is held every five years, unlike larger towns that have a sample survey every year.[Note 1]
Sites and Monuments
- The Church of Notre-Dame (12th century) is registered as an historical monument. It has a bell tower, nave, choir, capitals, and bas-reliefs in stone. It contains several items which are registered as historical objects:
- Remains from Prehistory and Antiquity
- Tower of the old priory with a monumental spiral staircase
- Jean-Baptiste Laumond, (born at Albignac on 22 August 1865 and died 18 November 1957 in Aubazine), Mayor of Aubazine, councilor general, MP, Provost of Andorra
- Community of communes of the Canton of Beynat (French)
- Albignac on Lion1906
- Albignac on Google Maps
- Albignac on Géoportail, National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (French)
- Albignac on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Albignac on the INSEE website (French)
- INSEE (French)
Notes and references
- At the beginning of the 21st century, the methods of identification have been modified by law No. 2002-276 of 27 February 2002 , the so-called "law of local democracy" and in particular Title V "census operations" which allow, after a transitional period running from 2004 to 2008, the annual publication of the legal population of the different French administrative districts. For municipalities with a population greater than 10,000 inhabitants, a sample survey is conducted annually, the entire territory of these municipalities is taken into account at the end of the period of five years. The first "legal population" after 1999 under this new law came into force on 1 January 2009 and was based on the census of 2006.
- Inhabitants of Correze (French)
- Google Maps
- List of Mayors of France (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée PA00099644 Church of Notre-Dame (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM19000787 Altar, 2 banks of Altar seating, Tabernacle, and Console (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM19000001 Capital converted to a Stoup (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM19000512 Bronze Bell (French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Albignac.|