Albin F. Irzyk
|Albin F. Irzyk|
|Born||January 2, 1917|
Salem, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Died||September 10, 2018 (aged 101)|
Alexandria, Virginia, U.S.
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Service/||United States Army|
|Years of service||1940–1971|
|Commands held||14th Armored Cavalry Regiment|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
Berlin Crisis of 1961
|Awards||Distinguished Service Cross|
Silver Star (2)
Bronze Star (4)
Purple Heart (2)
Legion of Merit - US Military
Croix de guerre 1939–1945 (France)
Czechoslovak War Cross 1939–1945
Albin Felix Irzyk (January 2, 1917 – September 10, 2018) was an American brigadier general who was the oldest living veteran of the 3rd Cavalry Regiment. Joining the Army in 1940, he was the Commander of the 8th Tank Battalion of the 4th Armored Division of the United States Army during World War II, the Commander of the 14th Armored Cavalry Regiment during the Berlin Crisis of 1961, and Assistant Commander of the 4th Infantry Division in South Vietnam during his career.
Early life and education
He was born on January 2, 1917 in Salem, Massachusetts.
While at the University of Massachusetts, he received a bachelor's degree, and a commission from the Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) in the Horse Cavalry. Irzyk also has a master's degree in International Relations from the American University in Washington, D.C., and graduated from the National War College.
In January 1968, Irzyk was commander of the Army's Headquarters Area Command in Saigon, in this role Irzyk organised the quick-reaction forces in the city that countered the Viet Cong Tet Offensive.
Legacy and honors
In 1999, a park on Fort Avenue in Salem, Massachusetts was dedicated to him. There is a military tank displayed there.
- Distinguished Service Cross
- Silver Star (2)
- Bronze Star (4)
- Purple Heart (2)
- Legion of Merit - US Military
- Croix de guerre 1939–1945 (France)
- Czechoslovak War Cross 1939–1945
- "Brave Rifles leaders visit oldest living 3rd CR veteran". www.army.mil. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- Kenneth O. Preston (2017-01-30). "Irzyk explains performance of American tanks in World War II". Association of the United States Army. Retrieved 2017-02-17.
- Paschall, Rod (4 January 2013). "Tet: Circling the wagons in Saigon". Vietnam Magazine. Retrieved 13 March 2017.
- "Irzyk Park - City of Salem MA". www.salem.com.
- "Brigadier General Albin F. Irzyk, WWII Tank Commander in Patton's Famed Third Army, Speaks at Daemen College". my.daemen.edu. Daemen Today. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- "He rode up front for Patton, Brig. Gen. Albin F. (Al) Irzyk". North of Boston Library Exchange. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- Patton's Juggernaut: The Rolling 8-Ball. Elderberry Press, Inc. 2017. ISBN 9781934956731. OCLC 1005517534.
- Albin Felix Irzyk 2018
- "Valor awards for Albin F. Irzyk". valor.militarytimes.com.
- "Albin F. Irzyk Awards". en.ww2awards.com. World War 2 Awards. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
|This biographical article related to the United States military is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|