Albrecht, Duke of Bavaria
|Duke of Bavaria|
Albrecht with his younger half-brother, Prince Heinrich, in 1922.
|Spouse||Countess Maria Draskovich of Trakostjan
Countess Marie-Jenke Keglevich of Buzin
|Issue||Princess Marie Gabrielle Antonia José
Princess Marie Charlotte Juliana
Franz, Duke of Bavaria
Prince Max, Duke in Bavaria
|House||House of Wittelsbach|
|Father||Rupprecht, Crown Prince of Bavaria|
|Mother||Duchess Marie Gabrielle in Bavaria|
3 May 1905|
Munich, Kingdom of Bavaria, German Empire
|Died||8 July 1996
Berg Castle, Starnberg, Bavaria, Germany
|Burial||Wittelsbach cemetery, Andechs Abbey, Bavaria|
Albrecht Luitpold Ferdinand Michael, Duke of Bavaria, of Franconia and in Swabia, Count Palatine of the Rhine (3 May 1905 – 8 July 1996), was the son of Rupprecht, Crown Prince of Bavaria and his first wife, Duchess Marie Gabrielle in Bavaria. He was the only surviving child from that marriage. His paternal grandfather was Ludwig III of Bavaria, the last King of Bavaria, who was deposed in 1918.
Prior to the Second World War, his family, the House of Wittelsbach, were opposed to the regime of Nazi Germany and refused to join the Nazi Party. The decision meant that Prince Albrecht, who had been studying forestry, was unable to complete his studies. In 1940 Albrecht took his family to his estate at Sárvár, Vas, Hungary. In October 1944, after Germany had occupied Hungary in March, the Wittelsbachs were arrested and imprisoned in the Sachsenhausen concentration camp at Oranienburg, Brandenburg. In April 1945 they were moved to the Dachau concentration camp, where they were liberated by the United States Army.
Albrecht became Head of the Royal Family of Bavaria with the death of his father on 2 August 1955. From that date he was also the heir-general of the Jacobite succession.[dubious ] In 1959 Albrecht, Duke of Bavaria presented the Greek Crown Jewels back to King Paul of Greece.
While visiting Brazil in 1953 he met the Fila Brasileiro and brought some to Germany introducing the dog breed to Europe.
In 1980 Albrecht presided over various ceremonies celebrating 800 years of the House of Wittelsbach.
Marriage and children
On 1930, Albrecht married Countess Maria Franziska Juliana Johanna Draskovich of Trakostjan (1904–1969). Four children were born from this marriage:
- Princess Marie Gabrielle Antonia José (born 1931). Married Georg, Fürst von Waldburg zu Zeil und Trauchburg (born 1928) and they have six children:
- Countess Walburga von Waldburg zu Zeil und Trauchburg (born 1958).
- Countess Gabriele von Waldburg zu Zeil und Trauchburg (born 1959).
- Countess Monika von Waldburg zu Zeil und Trauchburg (born 1961).
- Erich, Hereditary Count von Waldburg zu Zeil und Trauchburg (born 1962). Married Mathilde of Württemberg, daughter of Carl, Duke of Württemberg and Princess Diane of Orléans
- Countess Adelheid of Waldburg zu Zeil und Trauchburg (born 1964).
- Countess Elisabeth von Waldburg zu Zeil und Trauchburg (born 1966).
- Princess Marie Charlotte Juliana (born 1931, Gabrielle's twin). Married Paul, Fürst von Quadt zu Wykradt und Isny (born 1930-2011) and they have four children:
- Alexander, Fürst von Quadt zu Wykradt und Isny (born 1958).
- Countess Maria-Anna von Quadt zu Wykradt und Isny (born 1960).
- Countess Georgina von Quadt zu Wykradt und Isny (born 1962).
- Count Bertram von Quadt zu Wykradt und Isny (born 1966).
- Franz, Duke of Bavaria (born 14 July 1933).
- Max-Emanuel Ludwig Maria, Duke in Bavaria (born 1937), married the Swedish Countess Elisabeth Christina Douglas (born 1940) and they have five daughters, who bear the titles Princess of Bavaria, Duchess in Bavaria.
- Duchess Sophie Elisabeth Marie Gabrielle in Bavaria (born 28 October 1967). Married Alois, Hereditary Prince of Liechtenstein.
- Duchess Marie Caroline Hedwig Eleonore in Bavaria (born 1969). Married Duke Philipp of Württemberg, son of Carl, Duke of Württemberg and Princess Diane of Orléans.
- Duchess Helene Eugenie Maria Donatha Mechthild in Bavaria (born 1972).
- Duchess Elizabeth Marie Charlotte Franziska in Bavaria (born 1973). Married Daniel Terberger.
- Duchess Maria Anna Henriette Gabrielle Julia in Bavaria (born 1973). Married Klaus Runow.
In 1971, Albrecht married Countess Marie-Jenke Clara Clementine Antonia Stephanie Walburga Paula Keglevich of Buzin (1921–1983). They had no issue.
- Cowell, Alan (11 July 1996). "Duke Albrecht Is Dead at 91; Pretender to Bavarian Throne". New York Times. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- McFerran, Noel S. "Albert". The Jacobite Heritage.
- McFerran, Noel S. "The Royal Family, the Nazis, and the Second World War". The Jacobite Heritage.
Albrecht, Duke of BavariaBorn: 3 May 1905 Died: 8 July 1996
|Titles in pretence|
Crown Prince Rupprecht
|— TITULAR —
King of Bavaria
2 August 1955 – 8 July 1996
Reason for succession failure:
Kingdom abolished in 1918
2 August 1955 – 8 July 1996