Albuquerque Museum of Art and History
|The Albuquerque Museum of Art and History|
|Location||2000 Mountain Road NW
Albuquerque, New Mexico
The Albuquerque Museum, formerly known as the The Albuquerque Museum of Art and History, is located in Albuquerque, New Mexico in Old Town Albuquerque. The Albuquerque Museum is dedicated to preserving the art of the American Southwest and the history of Albuquerque and the Middle Rio Grande Valley of New Mexico. The museum also contributes significantly to the cultural and educational programs in the city of Albuquerque. The museum features art of the Southwest and its global influences, as well as 400 years of Albuquerque history with permanent installations and special exhibitions of national and international origin.
The museum was first opened as the Museum of Albuquerque in 1967 and located in the Albuquerque International Sunport. The collection outgrew the available space in the terminal, and the current location was built in 1979. The building was designed by Antoine Predock and was significantly expanded in 2005.
The museum's permanent exhibits are dedicated to art in New Mexico, and the history of Albuquerque include early maps, conquistador armor, weavings, and other artifacts of colonial life in New Mexico. The museum also hosts changing exhibits, a massive photo archive, art galleries, and maintains an outdoor sculpture garden on the grounds.
The museum has three permanent exhibits:
- Common Ground: Art in New Mexico
- Only in Albuquerque
- Sculpture Garden (the City of Albuquerque provides a mobile app guide to the Garden)
Casa San Ysidro
The Albuquerque Museum also operates tours for a late 18th century house in Corrales, New Mexico called Casa San Ysidro. The house features a recreation of a 19th-century rancho, including a family chapel, a central plazuela and an enclosed corral area.
- "About: Albuquerque Museum". AlbuquerqueMuseum.org. The Albuquerque Museum of Art and History. Retrieved 2015-03-18.
- "Ongoing Exhibitions from the Permanent Collection". AlbuquerqueMuseum.org. The Albuquerque Museum of Art and History. Retrieved 2015-04-22.
- Allen, Steven Robert (December 30, 2004). "Bigger is Sometimes Better: Common Ground: Art in New Mexico at the Albuquerque Museum". Alibi. 13 (53). Retrieved 2015-04-22.
- Reed, Ollie Jr. (February 20, 2015). "New $4M exhibit breathes life into ABQ's history". Albuquerque Journal. Retrieved 2015-04-22.
- "ABQ Museum Sculpture Garden Guide". City of Albuquerque. Retrieved 2015-04-22.
- New Mexico Office of Cultural Affairs (1995). Enchanted Lifeways: The History, Museums, Arts & Festivals of New Mexico. New Mexico Magazine. ISBN 0937206393.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Albuquerque Museum of Art and History.|
- Official website
- Information about The Albuquerque Museum (City of Albuquerque)
- A Virtual Tour of the Albuquerque Museum of Art and History, Albuquerque, NM