Alcohol Is Free
|"Alcohol Is Free"|
|Single by Koza Mostra feat. Agathonas Iakovidis|
|from the album Keep Up The Rhythm|
|Released||February 11, 2013|
|Koza Mostra singles chronology|
"Alcohol Is Free" is a song performed by Koza Mostra and Agathonas Iakovidis. It was Greece's entry in the Eurovision Song Contest in 2013, where it eventually came 6th at the finals. It was composed as a mix of ska, punk and rebetiko music styles. The song's chorus is sung in English while the rest of it is in Greek. It was performed at Eurovision with the performers wearing kilts. The song also included a number of allusions to the Greek government-debt crisis and a feeling of suffering as a result of it.
At the Eurovision Song Contest, "Alcohol is Free" was placed in the second semi-final where it was performed 9th in the running order. The song was voted through to compete in the final. There it was selected to play 21st in the Eurovision final running order. The song eventually finished 6th in the competition after receiving the maximum of 12 points from Cyprus and San Marino while also receiving high marks from Albania, Armenia, Russia, and the United Kingdom. "Alcohol is Free" was also the highest-ranking song not sung primarily in English.
The song was praised by critics, with the British Daily Mirror newspaper calling it "certifiably brilliant madness". A panel of music critics rated it as 67%. Czech musician Stano Simor criticized its melody as being too similar to Russian folk songs. Neos Kosmos, a Greek-Australian newspaper, opined that "Alcohol is Free" had gained a cult following because it contrasted with Europop music while maintaining Greek folk music. A follow-up single is planned titled "and Women are Easy".
|Greece Digital Songs (Billboard)||1|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||85|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||95|
|UK Indie (Official Charts Company)||30|
- Roxburgh, Gordon (18 February 2013). "Koza Mostra & Agathonas Iakovidis to represent Greece". European Broadcasting Union.
- "Eurovision Song Contest - Greece". BBC. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Music Showcase - Most Popular - Koza Mostra featuring Agathon Iakovidis (Greece): 'Alcohol Is Free'". BBC Music. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Postans, Adam. "The pure joy of the annual singing contest is that it's proudly un-PC". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Eurovision 2013 Denmark, Emmelie de Forest Wins Eurovision: Photos". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Eurovision Song Contest 2013 – Semi-final 2". Metro. 2013-05-17. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Gripper, Ann. "Eurovision 2013 full running order: When will the UK and Ireland sing?". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "'Alcohol is free' gives Greece sixth place at Eurovision as Denmark wins". Ekathimerini. 2011-02-09. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "English atop the Eurovision pile, yet again". The Economist. 2013-05-20. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Greece: Reviewing the track 'Alcohol is Free'". Escflashmalta.com. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "the high notes of Eurovision 2013". Neos Kosmos. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Digital Singles Charts - Greece". Billboard. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Koza Mostra & Agathon Lakovidis – Alcohol Is Free". GfK Entertainment Charts.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Koza Mostra & Agathon Lakovidis – Alcohol Is Free" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Archive Chart: 2013-06-01" UK Indie Chart.
"Aphrodisiac" by Eleftheria Eleftheriou
|Greek entry for the Eurovision Song Contest
"Rise Up" by Freaky Fortune