Alcohol enema

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

An alcohol enema, also known colloquially as butt-chugging or boofing, is the act of introducing alcohol into the rectum and colon via the anus, i.e., as an enema. This method of alcohol consumption can be dangerous and even deadly because it leads to faster intoxication since the alcohol is absorbed directly into the bloodstream and bypasses the body's ability to reject the toxin by vomiting.

Administration[edit]

Two reported techniques specific to alcohol enemas are by inserting into the rectum either an alcohol-soaked tampon[1] or tubing connected to a funnel into which alcohol is poured,[2] known as a beer bong.

Enema bags of the sort used medically, e.g., to remedy constipation, are also employed.[3]

Effects and dangers[edit]

An alcohol enema is a faster method of alcohol intoxication since the alcohol is absorbed directly into the bloodstream. The lower gastrointestinal tract lacks the alcohol dehydrogenase enzyme present in the stomach and liver that breaks down ethanol into acetylaldehyde, which is actually more toxic than ethanol (drinking alcohol) and is responsible for most chronic effects of ethanol. When rectally absorbed, ethanol will still eventually arrive at the liver, but the high alcohol content could overwhelm the organ. Additionally, consuming the alcohol rectally neutralizes the body's ability to reject the toxin by vomiting.[4]

Native American ritual usages[edit]

The Maya ritually administered enemas of alcohol as an entheogen, sometimes adding other psychoactive substances, seeking to reach a state of ecstasy. Syringes of gourd and clay were used to inject the fluid.[5]

Incidents[edit]

In May 2004, a 58-year-old man of Lake Jackson, Texas, died after his wife administered an alcohol enema of sherry. In total, the man consumed two large bottles of sherry, containing about three liters of the alcohol. He suffered from alcoholism and had difficulty ingesting alcohol orally because of a painful throat ailment. His wife was indicted on a charge of negligent homicide.[6] In August 2007, prosecutors dropped the charges due to insufficient evidence.[7][8]

An enema bag filled with white wine and taken as a self-administered enema killed a 52-year-old man. He was found dead with the nozzle still inserted in his anus and connected to, hanging from a coat rack next to his bed, his enema bag.[3]

References[edit]

  1. ^ "Teens using vodka tampons to get drunk". KPHO-TV. 7 November 2011.
  2. ^ Lovett, Edward; McNiff, Eamon (2012-09-21). "5 Shocking Ways Your Kids Try to Get Drunk". ABC News. Retrieved 2019-12-23.
  3. ^ a b Thomas Peterson, Landen Rentmeester, Bryan S. Judge, Stephen D. Cohle, and Jeffrey S. Jones2 (11 November 2014). "Case Report – Self-Administered Ethanol Enema Causing Accidental Death". Case Reports in Emergency Medicine. Hindawi Publishing Corporation. 2014: 191237. doi:10.1155/2014/191237. PMC 4243473. PMID 25436159.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
  4. ^ "Experts: Alcohol enemas 'extremely dangerous'". CNN. 26 September 2012.
  5. ^ Carod-Artal, F.J. (2015). "Hallucinogenic drugs in pre-Columbian Mesoamerican cultures". Neurología (English Edition). 30: 42–49. doi:10.1016/j.nrleng.2011.07.010.
  6. ^ "Woman accused of giving husband lethal sherry enema". Houston Chronicle. 2 February 2005.
  7. ^ "Charges dropped in sherry-enema death". Houston Chronicle. 4 October 2007.
  8. ^ "Charges dismissed in Texas sherry enema death". Reuters. 3 October 2007.