Map of Cebu with Alcoy highlighted
|Region||Central Visayas (Region VII)|
|District||2nd District of Cebu|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Mayor||Michael Sestoso (1‑CEBU)|
|• Vice mayor||Jonathan Abajon|
|• Town Council|
|• Representative||Wilfredo Caminero|
|• Total||61.63 km2 (23.80 sq mi)|
|Elevation||677 m (2,221 ft)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||280/km2 (710/sq mi)|
|• Voter (2016)||11,333|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+08:00)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)32|
|Income class||5th class|
|Climate type||Tropical rainforest climate|
Alcoy is a 5th municipal income class municipality in the province of Cebu, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 16,979. In the 2016 electoral roll, it had 11,333 registered voters. It is 93 km (58 mi) from Cebu City, and is bounded by the municipalities of Dalaguete to the north, Boljoon to the south, Badian and Alegria to the west; with Cebu Strait to the east.
It is named after Alcoy in Spain.
Alcoy comprises 8 barangays:
Alcoy is known as "The Black Shama Municipality"
Daan-Lungsod and Guiwang
Daan-Lungsod, formerly called Mambahi, is the southernmost barangay of Alcoy. Tingko Beach is located partly in this small barangay and partly in Guiwang. A fiesta is held in Daan-Lungsod every 3 May in honor of Santa Cruz. There is a reef called Mabad-on which appears during low tide, and is completely submerged during high tide. Mabad-on is listed as Mambahi Reef in the Philippine maritime and navigation map.
The elementary school is located in Guiwang. Guiwang celebrates 13 June the feast day of Saint Anthony of Padua.
Two baluwarti (watchtowers) still stand in the two barangays. The watchtowers are the oldest-surviving structures in Alcoy and they are reminders of the Spanish occupation of Cebu Island. They were used as to warn the locals of pirates coming.
Poblacion is the principal barangay of Alcoy. It is where the main facilities of the town are located: the municipal government center, police station, and main health center.
|Population of Alcoy|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
Alcoy is mainly an agricultural town with Nug‑as, a mountain barangay, more than half of commercial crops. The rest of the communities rely on subsistence fishing and backyard farming. The country's largest dolomite quarry is mined in Pugalo. Beaches are located in Guiwang and Daanlungsod.
- "Province: Cebu". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Census of Population (2015). "Region VII (Central Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "2016 National and Local Elections Statistics". Commission on Elections. 2016.
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Region VII (Central Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Censuses of Population (1903–2007). "Region VII (Central Visayas)". Table 1. Population Enumerated in Various Censuses by Province/Highly Urbanized City: 1903 to 2007. NSO.