Alden Township, St. Louis County, Minnesota
Alden Township, Minnesota
|• Total||35.8 sq mi (92.6 km2)|
|• Land||35.7 sq mi (92.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||1,342 ft (409 m)|
|• Density||5.9/sq mi (2.3/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0663409|
Saint Louis County Road 266 (Fox Farm Road), Laine Road, Rossini Road, and Two Harbors Road pass through the township.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 35.8 square miles (93 km2); 35.7 square miles (92 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2), or 0.28%, is water.
The West Branch of the Knife River and Brophy Creek both flow through Alden Township.
The following are adjacent to Alden Township :
- Duluth Township (south)
- North Star Township (west)
- Pequaywan Township (north)
- Normanna Township (southwest)
- Lake No. 2 Unorganized Territory of Lake County (east)
The northern portion of Alden Township is located within the Cloquet Valley State Forest.
As of the census of 2000, there were 198 people, 71 households, and 58 families residing in the township. The population density was 5.6 people per square mile (2.1/km²). There were 92 housing units at an average density of 2.6/sq mi (1.0/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 96.97% White, 2.53% Native American, and 0.51% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.51% of the population.
There were 71 households out of which 46.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 73.2% were married couples living together, 4.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 18.3% were non-families. 16.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.79 and the average family size was 3.12.
In the township the population was spread out with 30.3% under the age of 18, 3.5% from 18 to 24, 34.8% from 25 to 44, 23.2% from 45 to 64, and 8.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females, there were 110.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 115.6 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $48,750, and the median income for a family was $49,375. Males had a median income of $41,250 versus $28,750 for females. The per capita income for the township was $17,897. About 10.7% of families and 7.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.0% of those under the age of eighteen and none of those sixty five or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Alden township, St. Louis County, Minnesota". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved August 24, 2011.