|Founded||7 December 2005 (Germany)
July 2009 (the Netherlands)
March 2013 (Australia)
|Parent||Aldi / Medion|
Aldi Talk (also known as MEDIONmobile) is a mobile virtual network operator in Germany, Australia, Belgium, and the Netherlands. In Germany, it uses the Telefonica network (since 2014; before, it used E-Plus). In Australia it uses Telstra. In Belgium, it uses Base. In the Netherlands, it uses KPN.
Aldi Talk was founded on 7 December 2005 in Germany, 2007 in Belgium, July 2009 in the Netherlands and March 2013 in Australia.
On April 7, 2017, it was announced that Aldi Talk would cease all operations in Belgium by June 6. The cause of this decision was the coming in to effect of an anti-terrorism measure taken by the Belgian government, banning the sale and use of anonymous SIM cards, instead requiring the mobile operators to identify and register each of their clients. Because Aldi Talk did not have the necessary capabilities to perform these tasks, a decision was taken to cease all operations in Belgium.
- In Germany, they first offered rates of €0.05 (now €0.03) per minute/SMS to other Aldi Talk customers, and €0.15 (now €0.11) to landlines and other mobile phones. This offer at first was a two-week limited time offer, but has been available permanently on a "starter set", which has a SIM card and €10 worth of credit since early 2006.
- In Australia, the rate is 12c to landlines and other mobile phones. The rate is 12c per SMS to any mobile phones in Australia. You can view all the International Calling Rates by this PDF.
- In Belgium, the rate is €0.05 per minute to other Aldi Talk customers, and €0.14 to landlines and other mobile phones. The rate is €0.05 per SMS to any mobile phones in Belgium and €0.25 to other countries.
- In the Netherlands, the rate is €0.04 per minute to other Aldi Talk customers, and €0.13 to landlines and other mobile phones. The rate is €0.04 per SMS to any mobile phones in the Netherlands and €0.29 to other countries.
- "Aldi Talk België" (in Dutch). Retrieved 7 April 2017.
- "Belgische operatoren maken komaf met anonieme simkaart" (in Dutch). 2 December 2016. Retrieved 7 April 2017.
- "Aldi Talk stopt prepaid-aanbod als gevolg van anti-terreur maatregel". Test-Aankoop (in Dutch). https://www.test-aankoop.be/hightech/gsms-en-smartphones/nieuws/aldi-talk-stopt-prepaid-aanbod-als-gevolg-van-anti-terreur-maatregel. 7 April 2017.
- Kuri, Jürgen (2005-12-03). "Aldi steigt ins Mobilfunk-Geschäft ein (Update)". heise online (in German). Retrieved 2010-08-04.