|Born||1953 (age 63–64)
|Residence||Beverly Hills, California, U.S.|
|Alma mater||Western Michigan University|
|Net worth||US$2.1 billion (October 2015)|
|Spouse(s)||Kelly Noonan (m. 2016); Lisa (div.)|
|Family||Tom Gores (brother)
Sam Gores (brother)
Alec E. Gores (born 1953) is an Israeli-American businessman and investor who made his fortune through leveraged buyouts of technology firms at the firm Gores Group. As of October 2015 his net worth was estimated at $2.1 billion by Forbes magazine.
Early life and education
Alec Gores was born in 1953 in Nazareth, Israel, to a Greek father and Lebanese mother. He was raised in Flint, Michigan, and attended Genesee High School in Genesee, Michigan. He then obtained a degree in computer science from Western Michigan University.
His brothers are:
- Tom Gores a fellow billionaire and founder of Platinum Equity. They have been involved in a number of deals together including the 2011 acquisition of Alliance Entertainment, which distributes DVDs, CDs and video games to stores such as Barnes & Noble, Amazon.com and Target.
- Sam Gores head of Paradigm Talent Agency
In 1978, he founded Executive Business Systems with $10,000, selling computers out of his basement. By 1986 the company employed over 200 people and was acquired by CONTEL for approximately $2 million.
Following the acquisition, Gores began acquiring and operating non-core businesses from major corporations. He eventually founded The Gores Group, a private equity firm in 1987 and since then has acquired 80 companies over 25 years.
Gores has five children: Rochelle Gores Fredston, Eric Gores, Lauren Gores Ireland, Alexa Gores, and Gavin Gores. He is married to Kelly Noonan Gores. He has a former wife, Lisa.
- Morgan Brennan. "Forbes Alec Gores". Forbes. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Letters". San Diego Reader. 2009-05-20. Retrieved 2011-09-25.
For the record, my mother is of Lebanese descent, and my father was of Greek descent. We were raised and are still practicing Catholics
- "The Gores Group, LLC - Team". Gores.com. Archived from the original on July 24, 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-09.
- "Platinum Equity".
- "The Mystery Bidder for Borders: Meet Alec Gores". The Wall Street Journalt. June 1, 2011. Retrieved April 18, 2013.
- Bannon, Lisa (April 9, 2002)."Gores Brothers Jockey for Same Deals In Grown-Up Game of Sibling Rivalry". The Wall Street Journal.
- "The Gores Group History".
- Mark David (April 23, 2007). "Do You Know Who Lisa Gores Is?". Variety. Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- "'You've just got to be lucky' - How JP McManus won €15m in a board game with US billionaire". Independent.ie. Retrieved 2016-05-08.