|Born||December 1, 1977|
|Origin||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Genres||Indie rock, folk rock|
Alec Ounsworth (born December 1, 1977) is an American singer, songwriter, guitarist and frontman of indie rock band Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. He is also a member of The Pelican Picnic and Flashy Python. His first solo album, Mo Beauty was released October 20, 2009, on Anti- Records.
Ounsworth was born in Pennsylvania and grew up in Mount Airy, Philadelphia. Around his mid-teens, he started writing and recording music — a hobby that would stay near to him throughout his academic career at Connecticut College. In college, he shared a dorm room with Lee Sargent during their first year. They would both graduate in 2000.
Sargent, who had a special interest in Ounsworth's songs, contacted him in 2004 via Friendster about starting a band. After several contacts, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah was formed, and the band started playing live shows and recording demos.
Prior to the success of Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Ounsworth released several home demos of his work onto the internet, many of them being early versions of songs that Clap Your Hands Say Yeah would record. All ties between him and the files have been severed, as both flashypython.com and his MySpace page have been deleted. The files are still distributed among fans over the Internet.
Ounsworth's collection of guitars includes two Fender Telecasters, a Fender Stratocaster, a Gibson Hummingbird, and a Gibson SG. He also has at least four acoustic guitars, two of which are made by Gibson. On April 4, 2007, he sported a Gibson Flying V guitar on Clap Your Hands Say Yeah's appearance on Late Night with Conan O'Brien.
On January 12, 2007, Ounsworth married Emily Jean Stock, who is the inspiration behind the song of the same name on the album Some Loud Thunder. In 2008, they had a daughter, Rosemary.
- 2009: Mo Beauty
with Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
- 2005: Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
- 2007: Some Loud Thunder
- 2007: Live at Lollapalooza 2007: Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
- 2011: Hysterical
- 2014: Only Run
- 2017: The Tourist
- 2021: New Fragility
with Flashy Python
- 2009: Skin and Bones
- "The Next Big Band?". WPVI-TV. April 4, 2006. Archived from the original on June 29, 2011. Retrieved May 5, 2010.
- "Alec Ounsworth: Clap Your Hands, Go Solo". NPR. January 13, 2010. Retrieved May 5, 2010.
- "Living on Rock 'N' Roll". Connecticut College Magazine. 2007. Retrieved May 5, 2010.
- Lanham, Tom (December 6, 2006). "Solitary Thunder: Clap Your Hands Say Yeah's Alex Ounsworth Walks Alone". Paste. Archived from the original on June 16, 2011. Retrieved May 5, 2010.