Alegria, Surigao del Norte
Bayan ng Alegria
Map of Surigao del Norte with Alegria highlighted
|Region||Caraga (Region XIII)|
|Province||Surigao del Norte|
|Congr. district||2nd district of Surigao del Norte|
|• Mayor||Dominador G. Esma Jr. (2007-present)|
|• Vice Mayor||Uldarico S. Uriarte Jr. (2010-present)|
|• Congress||Guillermo A. Romarate Jr. (2007-present)|
|• Total||65.28 km2 (25.20 sq mi)|
|• Density||220/km2 (580/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Patron Saint||San Isidro Labrador the Farmer|
|Income class||5th class|
- Camp Eduard (Geotina)
- Julio Ouano (Pob.)
- Poblacion (Alegria)
- San Juan
- San Pedro
Alegria was created by Republic Act No. 5239. It was originally the sitio of Anahaw founded by immigrants from the municipality of Bacuag. Sitio Anahaw was situated near Lake Mainit, and would often be flooded due to heavy rains. During rainy seasons, the local families transferred to a place now called Alegria.
The name Alegria was derived from the Spanish word which means "lively". Its name was given by Judge Sixto Olga who happened to spend a night in the place. The people offered him a party dance. Because their affair was lively he told the people to change the name Anahaw to Alegria.
Alegria became a barrio in 1927. It was formerly one of the biggest barrios in the municipality of Mainit. The municipality extends from the boundary of Kitcharao, Agusan del Norte, to Pungtod and Dayano that is the boundary of the mother municipality of Mainit.
|Population census of Alegria|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
The following are schools in the center of Alegria:
- Alegria Central Elementary School 
- Alegria National High School 
- Global Competency Based Training Center 
- Marajaw na Magbalantay Learning Center
Railway station (proposed)
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 1 July 2013. Retrieved 29 August 2013.
- "Province: Surigao del Norte". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 29 August 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010" (PDF). 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 29 August 2013.
- Municipality of Alegria (2008-03-19). "History of Alegria". Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- "Province of Surigao Del Norte". Municipality Population Data. LWUA Research Division. Retrieved 29 August 2013.
- Municipality of Alegria Website Blog
- ALEGRIA TODAY
- The Amazing People of Alegria, Surigao del Norte
- Alegria National High School
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System
|Kitcharao, Agusan del Norte|