Alejandro De Aza
|Alejandro De Aza|
De Aza with the New York Mets in 2016
|New York Mets – No. 16|
April 11, 1984 |
Guaymate, Dominican Republic
|April 2, 2007, for the Florida Marlins|
(through September 6, 2016)
|Runs batted in||247|
Alejandro Alberto De Aza Ceda (born April 11, 1984) is a Dominican professional baseball outfielder for the New York Mets of Major League Baseball (MLB). He previously played for the Florida Marlins, Chicago White Sox, Baltimore Orioles, Boston Red Sox, and San Francisco Giants.
In 2005, De Aza batted .286 with 34 stolen bases and 75 runs scored while playing for the Marlins Single-A Jupiter affiliate. In 2006, De Aza batted .278 with 12 doubles, two triples, two home runs, 16 RBI and 27 stolen bases at Double-A.
On March 28, 2007, De Aza was named the starting center fielder for the Marlins, beating out Reggie Abercrombie, Eric Reed, and Alex Sánchez in what was seen as a surprise. In 2007, he batted .303 (10-for-33) in nine games for the Marlins before going on the disabled list on April 16 with a right ankle sprain; an MRI in mid-May revealed that his ankle had a hairline fracture. The fractured ankle required surgery and De Aza was placed on the disabled list for the 2007 season. De Aza was called up by the Florida Marlins in May 2009.
Chicago White Sox
On January 18, 2013, De Aza signed a one-year, $2.075 million deal to avoid arbitration with the White Sox. De Aza was the starting center fielder once again, and his main backups were Jordan Danks and DeWayne Wise. He would also periodically fill in at left field when Dayán Viciedo would be injured. In 153 games, he hit .264/.323/.405 with 17 HR, 62 RBI and 20 SB.
On August 30, 2014, De Aza was traded from the Chicago White Sox to the Baltimore Orioles for minor league pitchers Miguel Chalas and Mark Blackmar. In his first five games with the Orioles, De Aza hit two home runs, had three RBI, stole a base, scored four runs and batted .400. He was designated for assignment on May 27, 2015.
Boston Red Sox
San Francisco Giants
New York Mets
World Baseball Classic
|Representing Dominican Republic|
|World Baseball Classic|
|2013 San Francisco||Team|
In 2013, De Aza played for the eventual 2013 World Baseball Classic winning team from the Dominican Republic, having a .208 batting average and 3 RBI in 8 games as a center fielder, going 1 for 3 in the final game against Puerto Rico.
De Aza's Fiancee is Jennifer Garcia
- "Orioles acquire OF De Aza in trade with White Sox". ESPN.com. Associated Press. August 30, 2014. Retrieved August 31, 2014.
- "Alejandro De Aza". ESPN.com. Retrieved September 10, 2014.
- "Orioles designate De Aza for assignment; Flaherty in lineup". ESPN.com. Associated Press. May 27, 2015. Retrieved May 30, 2015.
- Gleeman, Aaron (June 3, 2015). "Red Sox acquire Alejandro De Aza from Orioles". hardballtalk.nbcsports.com. Retrieved June 3, 2015.
- Half, Chis. "Giants add lefty-hitting outfielder De Aza". MLB.com. Retrieved 31 August 2015.
- Links, Zach. "Mets sign Alejandro De Aza". MLBTradeRumors.com. Retrieved December 23, 2015.
- "Domi-nation: DR runs table en route to title". worldbaseballclassic.com. MLB.com. March 19, 2013. Retrieved May 23, 2015.
- "2013 Statistics". worldbaseballclassic.com. Retrieved May 23, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alejandro De Aza.|