|Member of the Chilean Senate|
for Antofagasta's 2nd district
|Assumed office |
11 March 2014
Alejandro René Eleodoro
5 March 1953
La Serena, Chile
|Political party||New Majority (2013–present)|
|Social Democrat Radical Party|
Alejandro René Eleodoro Guillier Álvarez (born 5 March 1953) is a Chilean sociologist, television and radio journalist, and independent politician. He is a Senator of the 2nd District of Antofagasta and was the 2017 Presidential candidate of the New Majority.
Guillier ran in the New Majority primary for the 2017 election and was the coalitions' standard bearer in the 2017 Presidential Elections to replace term-limited president Michele Bachelet. Among others, he faced former PPD President Ricardo Lagos before the latters' withdrawal from the contest.
Polling showed him to be competitive against Chile Vamos candidate Sebastián Piñera, although his support slipped in the run up to the election and after a series of splits between the traditional left coalition block.
- "Alejandro René Eleodoro Guillier Álvarez". bcn.cl. 11 March 2014.
- Slattery, Gram (20 April 2017). "Chile Election Competitive despite Conservative Gains". Reuters.
- "» Masonería se moviliza para apoyar candidatura de Alejandro Guillier en la Nueva MayoríaEl Demócrata". El Demócrata (in Spanish). 2017-03-18. Retrieved 2017-06-17.
- "El masón Guillier - LA TERCERA". La Tercera (in Spanish). Retrieved 2017-06-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alejandro Guillier.|
- Biography by CIDOB (in Spanish)