October 10, 1930|
Arbanasi, Zadar, Kingdom of Italy
September 1, 2015 (aged 84)|
|Nationality||Croatian, Albanian|
|Known for||Studies on Illyrians|
|Awards||Order of Skanderbeg|
|Institutions||University of Zagreb|
Aleksandar Stipčević (October 10, 1930 – September 1, 2015) was a Croatian-Albanian archeologist, bibliographer, librarian and historian who specialized in the study of the Illyrians.
Origin and work
He was born in the village of Arbanasi near Zadar, Croatia (then Zara, Kingdom of Italy). He was a full professor at the University of Zagreb from 1987 until his retirement in 1997. He was a member of the Academy of Sciences and Arts of Kosovo.
- Gli Iliri ("Illyrians"; 1966)
- Arte degli Illiri ("The Illyrian Art"; 1963)
- Iliri: povijest, život, kultura (1974)
- Bibliografija antičke arheologije u Jugoslaviji (I–II, 1977)
- Kultni simboli kod Ilira ("The Illyrian Cult Symbols"; 1981)
- Povijest knjige ("The History of Books"; 1985, extended edition in 2006)
- Cenzura u knjižnicama ("Censorship and Libraries"; 1992)
- O savršenom cenzoru (1994)
- Sudbina knjige (2000)
- Socijalna povijest knjige u Hrvata (I–II, 2004–05)
- Tradicijska kultura zadarskih Arbanasa (2011)
Some of them are translated to other languages.
He was the editor-in-chief of the second volume of the Croatian Biographical Lexicon (1983–1989).
- "Ka vdekur Aleksandar Stipçeviq" [Aleksandar Stipčević passed away] (in Albanian). Zeri Online. 2015-09-01.
- "Aleksandar Stipčević". matica.hr (in Croatian). Matica hrvatska. Retrieved 2009-08-07.
- "Stipčević, Aleksandar", Croatian Encyclopedia (in Croatian), Leksikografski zavod Miroslav Krleža, 1999–2009, retrieved April 24, 2014
|This article about a Croatian scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|