Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Volkov
|Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Volkov|
27 May 1948 |
Horlivka, Ukrainian SSR
|Rank||Colonel, Soviet Air Force|
Time in space
|391d 11h 52m|
|Selection||1978 cosmonaut Group|
|Missions||Soyuz T-14, Mir EO-4 (Soyuz TM-7), Soyuz TM-13|
Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Volkov (Russian: Алекса́ндр Алекса́ндрович Во́лков, born 27 May 1948) is a retired Russian cosmonaut. He is the father of cosmonaut Sergey Volkov, a veteran of 3 space flights to Mir Soviet space station
Biography and career
Volkov was born in Ukrainian SSR in a family of Russian ethnicity. At the age of 13, Volkov witnessed Yuri Gagarin become the first man in space and this inspired him to become a cosmonaut. He joined the Soviet space programme and became a test pilot before realising his dream.
He flew into space three times. His first spaceflight was a trip to Salyut 7 in 1985 (64 days in space), followed by two flights to the Mir space station, in 1988–1989 (151 days) and again in 1991–1992 (175 days) as commander of flight Soyuz TM-13. On board the Mir space station, he controlled the docking procedures among other things.
The Soviet Union broke up in 1991 during his second stay on board Mir. At the time Volkov was orbiting Earth on Mir with Sergei K. Krikalev, "the last citizens of the USSR". Having gone into orbit as Soviet citizens, they returned to Earth as Russian citizens.
He worked as Commander of the Cosmonaut Team at the Cosmonauts Training Centre from January 1991 until August 1998. His work was to prepare Russian and foreign cosmonauts for future flights to space stations to Mir and the International Space Station.
Aleksandr Volkov was awarded:
- Hero of the Soviet Union (1985)
- Order of Lenin (1985)
- Order of the October Revolution (1989)
- Order of Friendship of Peoples (1992)
- Medal 2nd class of the Order of Merit for the Fatherland (1996)
- Medal "For Merit in Space Exploration" (2011)
- Officer of the Legion of Honour (France)
- Order of Merit 3rd class (Ukraine, 2011)
- astronautix.com Archived 5 August 2014 at the Wayback Machine.
- Mission report: http://www.spacefacts.de/mission/english/soyuz-tm13.htm
- Volkov. Spacefacts.de
- Russian President Decree No. 299. 25 March 1992
- Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 9 апреля 1996 года № 514 Archived 15 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine.. Russian President Decree No. 514. 9 April 1996
- Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 12 апреля 2011 года № 436 «О награждении медалью „За заслуги в освоении космоса“». Russian President Decree No. 436. 12 April 2011
- Указ Президента України № 450/2011 від 12 квітня 2011 року «Про відзначення державними нагородами України» Archived 9 July 2014 at the Wayback Machine.. Ukrainian President Decree No. 450. 12 April 2011
Media related to Alexander Volkov at Wikimedia Commons
|This biographical article about a Russian scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a space explorer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|