|Head of Roscomnadzor|
|Assumed office |
May 3, 2012
|Born||August 11, 1964|
Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Zharov (also spelled Alexander Zharov; Russian: Алекса́ндр Алекса́ндрович Жа́ров) is a Russian politician. The head of Federal Service for Supervision in the Sphere of Telecom, Information Technologies and Mass Communications (Roskomnadzor) since 3 May 2012.
Zharov studied medicine at the Chelyabinsk Medical Academy and graduated in 1987. His specialization is anesthesiologist and intensive care specialist. He worked at the Chelyabinsk Regional Clinical Hospital from 1987 to 1996.
- 1998 to 1999 — adviser to chairman of the board of the news agency RIA Novosti;
- 1999 to 2004 — spokesman of the Ministry of Health;
- 2004 to 2006 — spokesman of the Prime Minister
- 2006 to 2007 — deputy general director of the broadcasting company VGTRK;
- 2007 to 2008 — head of the Department of Press Service, Information and Protocol
- 2008 to 2012 — deputy Minister of Communications and Mass Media
- May 2012 — head of Roskomnadzor.
Zharov is married, his wife is a businesswoman, her name and business are not officially disclosed. They have 6 children.
- Chelyabinsk Medical Academy (1987) — anesthesiologist and intensive care specialist;
- F.F. Erisman Federal Research Center of Hygiene (2004) — Candidate of Sciences;
- Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration (2006) — law school.
Zharov is periodically criticized as the head of Roskomnadzor and within the scope of activities of this organization, sometimes called a "watchdog" threatening the media freedom in Russia, particularly the Internet in Russia (Runet).
Zharov argues that neither himself nor his organization initiate new limitations but has to follow existing laws and court rulings. He says in a private interview:
A chastener punishes innocents and Roskomnadzor punishes guilty ones. Unfortunately we have such a function and if we don't execute it then we worth nothing as a service for supervision.
Zharov became a Candidate of Sciences in 2004, his thesis was on "Medico-hygienic bases forming a healthy way of life in the Russian Federation" (Russian: "Медико-гигиенические основы формирования здорового образа жизни в Российской Федерации"). Upon analysis made by Dissernet, a substantial part (52 pages out of 145) has been taken unaltered or slightly altered from two state reports of the Ministry of Health (1998, 2002). Such reports as official documents of state government agencies are in public domain in Russia yet they have been used without attribution.
- "Alexander Zharov, Head of Roscomnadzor, meets with Facebook's Official". Roskomnadzor. August 25, 2015.
- "Жаров Александр Александрович". ГиМУ.
- "Уроженец Челябинска Александр Жаров назначен главой Роскомнадзора". 74.ru. May 5, 2012.
- "Ukraine-/Russia-related Designations and Identification Update". United States Department of the Treasury. 2018-04-06. Retrieved 2018-04-06.
- "США ввели санкции против семи российских олигархов и 17 чиновников из «кремлевского списка»" [The US imposed sanctions against seven Russian oligarchs and 17 officials from the "Kremlin list"]. Meduza (in Russian). 2018-04-06. Retrieved 2018-04-06.
- "Жена главы Роскомнадзора в 2013 г. купила 5 квартир". CNews. May 12, 2014.
- "Russia blocks access to LinkedIn over foreign-held data". The Guardian. November 17, 2016.
- "'Каратель наказывает невинных, а Роскомнадзор — виновных'". Znak. April 27, 2015.
- "Экспертиза: Жаров Александр Александрович". Диссернет. December 28, 2013.