Aleksei Vasil'evich Pogorelov (Russian: Алексе́й Васи́льевич Погоре́лов, Ukrainian: Олексі́й Васи́льович Погорє́лов; March 2, 1919 – December 17, 2002), was a Soviet and Ukrainian mathematician. He was most famous for his contributions to convex geometry and differential geometry. He was also the author of a number of influential research monographs as well as popular high school and college textbooks. Pogorelov's uniqueness theorem and the Alexandrov–Pogorelov theorem are named after him.
Pogorelov was born in Korocha, Kursk Governorate, Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic (now Belgorod Oblast, Russia) and died in Moscow. For much of his life he worked in Kharkiv (Ukraine) (from 1937 until 2000), first at the Kharkiv State University and then at the B Verkin Institute for Low Temperature Physics and Engineering. He wrote his dissertation under the supervision of A. D. Alexandrov and Nikolai Efimov. His books on intrinsic geometry of convex bodies, Hilbert's fourth problem, multidimensional Minkowski problem, and Monge–Ampère equation were translated to other languages and became standard in the field.
- Topics in the theory of surfaces in elliptic spaces. Gordon & Breach. 1961.
- Extrinsic geometry of convex surfaces. AMS. 1973.
- The Minkowski multidimensional problem. V. H. Winston. 1978.
- Hilbert's fourth problem. V. H. Winston. 1979.
- Bending of surfaces and stability of shells. AMS. 1988.
- Busemann regular G-spaces. Harwood. 1999.
- Geometry [translated from the Russian by Leonid Levant, Aleksandr Repyev and Oleg Efimov.]. Moscow: Mir Publishers (1987). ISBN 0714725536. ISBN 978-0714725536.
- Mathematics of the 19th Century: Geometry, Analytic Function Theory https://books.google.com/books?id=XTYDCAAAQBAJ&pg=PA15
- Mathematics: Its Content, Methods and Meaning https://books.google.com/books?id=ESSKAAAAQBAJ&pg=RA1-PA115
- https://books.google.com/books?id=aoMreDT_DwcC&pg=PA463 Convex Polyhedra
- Calabi, Eugenio (1979). "Review: The Minkowski multidimensional problem, by A. V. Pogorelov, trans. by V. Oliker". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.). 1 (4): 636–639. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-1979-14645-7.
- Busemann, Herbert (1981). "Review: Hilbert's fourth problem, by A. V. Pogorelov". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.). 4 (1): 87–90. doi:10.1090/S0273-0979-1981-14867-9.
- A.D. Aleksandrov; et al. (1999). "Aleksei Vasilevich Pogorelov (on the occasion of his eightieth birthday)". Russian Mathematical Surveys. 54 (4): 869–872. Bibcode:1999RuMaS..54..869A. doi:10.1070/RM1999v054n04ABEH000201.
- V.A. Aleksandrov; et al. (2003). "Aleksei Vasilevich Pogorelov (obituary)". Russian Mathematical Surveys. 58 (3): 593–596. Bibcode:2003RuMaS..58..593A. doi:10.1070/RM2003v058n03ABEH000638.
- Aleksei Pogorelov at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Website dedicated to Pogorelov and his work
- Biography – at the B. Verkin Institute for Low Temperature Physics and Engineering
- Works by or about Aleksei Pogorelov in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Aleksei Pogorelov", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews.