Aleksei Serebryakov (actor)
Aleksei Serebryakov in 2014
|Born||Aleksei Valeryevich Serebryakov|
3 July 1964
Moscow, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union
Aleksei Valeryevich Serebryakov, PAR, HOR (Russian: Алексей Валерьевич Серебряков; born 3 July 1964) is a Soviet, Russian and Canadian stage performer and film actor. He started acting at 13, and now he is one of the most popular and highly paid Russian actors.
Early life and career beginnings
Aleksei Valerevich Serebryakov was born on July 3, 1964 in Moscow. His father was an aircraft engineer and his mother worked as a doctor at the Gorky Film Studio. In his childhood, he attended a music school (class of accordion).
Aleksei Serebryakov made his debut as an actor at 13, when his music teacher published a photo of him in the newspaper Vechernyaya Moskva. Aleksei was noticed by casting directors Valery Uskov and Vladimir Krasnopolsky, who conducted castings for the popular Soviet TV series Eternal Call. After that Aleksei appeared in a few more films.
In 1986, he graduated from the Lunacharsky State Institute of Theatrical Art, where he went to the acting school of Oleg Tabakov, after which he played for several years at the Moscow Theatre-Studio "Tabakerka" directed by Oleg Tabakov. In 1991, he left the theater.
After graduating from GITIS, Serebryakov starred in several films, including Silent Outpost (1986) and Accused of the Wedding (1986), and some others. He gained wide popularity due to his main character as a criminal fighter in Vladimir Feoktistov's movie Fan (1989).
In the 1990s, Aleksei kept playing in films. In particular, he took part in the film Afghan Breakdown (1990) that was directed by Vladimir Bortko. He also starred in the 1990 film Accidental Waltz, for which he won the best actor prize at the Locarno Film Festival. His another important work was a role in Sergey Livnov's 1994 drama "Hammer and Sickle".
Concurrently, he starred in the movies "Antikiller 2: Antiterror" and "Escape" by Yegor Konchalovsky, Dead Man's Bluff by Aleksei Balabanov, The 9th Company and Dark Planet by Fyodor Bondarchuk, Vadim Shmelev's The Apocalypse Code, Gloss by Andrei Konchalovsky, "Golden Section" by Sergei Debizhev, Once Upon a Time There Lived a Simple Woman by Andrei Smirnov, "Solo on the Saxophone" by Alexander Kirienko and the fantasy-anthology film Fairytale.Is.
He performed in Lenkom Theatre between 2009–2012.
After that, Serebryakov appeared in the movie Clinch that was Sergei Puskepalis's feature directorial debut.
In 2015–2016, he continued acting in TV series, including Fartsa and The Method.
In 2017, he played role of Dr. Andrey Richter in Doctor Richter, a Russian remake of the American medical drama series, House. In that same year, he also played in the historical fantasy feature film Furious.
Serebryakov appeared in the 2018 BBC series McMafia, where he played Dmitri Godman, mafia boss father of protagonist Alex. In the same year, he became embroiled in controversy over his statement in an interview that the most common traits of Russian people are "[brutal] force, rudeness and arrogance". He also said in the interview that he does not like two things about Vladimir Putin—lies and thieving.
Aleksei Serebryakov has been in a relationship with his current wife Maria since the 1980s. They were married in the 1990s and have three children; one child from Maria's previous marriage and two whom they have adopted together.
- 1990: Locarno Film Festival – Best Actor Award ("Accidental Waltz").
- 1993: Sozvezdie Film Festival – special jury prize ("Higher measure").
- 1994: Film Festival "Kinoshock" – prize for the best male role ("Hammer and Sickle").
- 2000: Festival "Vivat, Cinema of Russia!" (St. Petersburg) – prize for the best male role ("Tests for Real Men").
- 2006: Festival "Vivat Cinema of Russia!" (St. Petersburg) – prize for the best role ("Vanyukhin's Children").
- 2014: "IFFI Best Actor Award (Male)" at 45th International Film Festival of India – (Leviathan).
|2017||Legend of Kolovrat||Prince Yuri||Grand prince of Ryazan|
|2016||Dr. Richter||Dr. Andrey Richter||Based off Dr. Gregory House|
|2015||Clinch||Vitaly Feodorov||Literature teacher.|
|2014||Leviathan||Kolya||Nominated-European Film Award for Best Actor|
|2011||The PyraMMMid||Sergei Mamontov|
|2011||Once Upon a Time There Lived a Simple Woman||Lebeda|
|2010||Ivanov||Nikolai Ivanov||Ivanov's adaptation|
|2008||The Inhabited Island||Strannik|
|2007||Tiski||Major Dudaitis, from FSKN|
|The Apocalypse Code||Sergei|
|Cargo 200||Alexei Belov|
|2005||The 9th Company||Capt. from reconnaissance unit|
|2005||Dead Man's Bluff||"Doctor"|
|2005||Run All Day||Colonel Pakhomov|
|2003||Antikiller 2: Antiterror (ru)||Uzhakh Aduev|
|1990||Afghan Breakdown||Sgt. Arsyonov|
|2000||Empire under Attack||Boris Savinkov|
|2000||Bandit Petersburg. Advocate||Oleg Zvantsev. "White Advocate"|
|2003||Bayazet (ru)||Lieutenant A.E. Karabanov|
|2003||World Wide 3||Makarius' father|
|2011||The White Guard||Felix Nay-Tours, colonel of the Hussars|
|2011||Diamond Hunters||Nikolai Shakhov|
- "Биография Алексея Серебрякова". RIA Novosti.
- "Алексей Серебряков". VokrugTV.
- Серебряков – об эмиграции, детях и законе подлецов [Serebryakov – about emigration, children and the law of scoundrels]. VDud.
- Vladimir Kozlov. "'Leviathan' Star Stirs Controversy, Says Russians Are "Rude" and "Arrogant"". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Nancy Tartaglione. "'Leviathan' & 'McMafia' Actor Under Fire For Anti-Russian Comments; Colleagues Respond". Deadline.
- "Серебряков о Путине: Мне не нравятся два "В": вранье и воровство" [Serebryakov on Putin: I do not like two "V"s (Vladimir Vladimirovich): lies (vranye) and thieving (vorovstvo)]. Gordon.
- "Звезды, которые воспитывают приемных детей". 7days.
- Актер Алексей Серебряков сбежал в Канаду, не выдержав жизни в России(in Russian)
- "Алексей Серебряков: После выборов власти придется "закручивать гайки"" (in Russian). Argumenty i Fakty.