Alencier Ley Lopez
Alencier Ley Lopez
|Alma mater||University of Kerala|
Alencier Ley Lopez is an Indian film and theatre actor, who appears in Malayalam films. Lopez made his debut in the 1998 film Daya; and he amassed recognition through the films Annayum Rasoolum (2013), Njan Steve Lopez (2013), and Maheshinte Prathikaaram (2016). At the 48th Kerala State Film Awards, he won the Best Character Actor Award for his performance in Thondimuthalum Driksakshiyum (2017).
Alencier Ley Lopez is from a Latin Catholic family from Puthenthope, a coastal village in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. He graduated from St. Xavier's College, Thumba and University College Thiruvananthapuram. Alencier is married to Suseela George, a mathematics teacher. The couple has two sons – Alen Savio Lopez and Alen Steve Lopez.
Early years in theatre
Natives of Puthenthope are passionate about football and theatre. And, Lopez developed a passion for theatre much early in life after witnessing the Leyon Lopez Nadakaolsavam (theatre festival). His theatre debut was at the age of five. Later Lopez and some friends formed their own troupe - the Netaji Theatre - while in standard eight, directing and acting in their own plays. After graduating school Lopez decided to chase a career as an actor or a priest. In college he ardently associated with various theatre troupes such as C. P. Krishnakumar's troupe, Kavalam Narayana Panicker's Sopanam and K. Raghu's Natakayogam. He continued his career in theatre until the platforms of performance arts were taken over by scene platforms film and television.
Lopez was introduced to films by cinematographer-director Venu in his directorial debutDaya in 1998. He played one of the leads in K. R. Manoj's Kanyaka Talkies (2013), which was screened in major film festivals and received critical applause. Then in Vedivazhipadu (2013), as a typical south Kerala Brahmin. In 2013, director Rajiv Ravi cast him in Annayum Rasoolum starring Fahadh Faasil and later in Njan Steve Lopez (2014). In 2015 Lopez starred in Maheshinte Prathikaaram (2015) at the recommendation of Fahadh Fazil which was his first major break. In 2017 He did a major role in the film Thondi Muthalum Drisakhsiyum , directed by Dileesh pothan.
Sexual harassment allegations
Divya Gopinath, who worked with him on Abhasam alleged that he sexually harassed her on the sets of the film.The director of Abhasam claimed that Alencier came drunk to the sets and messed up many of the shots which affected the continuity of the shooting. Another American woman was also allegedly harrassed by Lopez when he was in the United States filming for Monsoon Mangoes.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
- Kerala State Film Award for Second Best Actor : Thondimuthalum Driksakshiyum
- Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor – Malayalam : Thondimuthalum Driksakshiyum
- Flowers Indian Film Awards - Best Supporting actor: Thondimuthalum Driksakshiyum
- Asianet Film Awards 2018 - Best Supporting actor: Thondimuthalum Driksakshiyum
- CPC Cine Awards 2017- Best Character artist: Thondimuthalum Driksakshiyum
- Onmanorama Staff (11 July 2016). "Monday Motivation | Alencier Ley Lopez on doing what your heart desires". Malayala Manorama. Retrieved 14 July 2016.
- Nagarajan, Saraswathy (21 November 2013). "On a roll of roles". The Hindu. Retrieved 14 July 2016.
- "'Aabhasam' director backs Divya Gopiinath's 'Me Too' statement against Anelcier". www.thenewsminute.com. Retrieved 17 January 2019.
- "Alencier Ley Lopez caught in #MeToo storm". Deccan Chronicle. 16 October 2018.
- "'ഞാൻ കണ്ട നീലച്ചിത്രത്തിലെ നായിക നീയല്ലേ...': അലൻസിയർക്കെതിരെ പ്രവാസിയുടെ കുറിപ്പ്". ManoramaOnline.