9 November 1920|
|Died||4 March 2011
|Academic advisors||Kamaloddin Jenab|
|Known for||Mother of Modern Iranian Astronomy|
Ālenush Teriān (Armenian: Ալենուշ Տէրեան; Persian: آلنوش طریان; also: آلنوش تریان, (November 9, 1920 – March 4, 2011), was an Iranian-Armenian astronomer and physicist and is called 'Mother of Modern Iranian Astronomy'.
She was born to an Armenian family in Tehran, Iran. Her father, Arto, was a stage director, poet and translator (with the pen name Arizad meaning Born to Aryan) who had translated Shahnameh, from Persian to Armenian. and her, Vartu, mother and stage actress and director.
Teriān graduated in 1947 in the Science Department of University of Tehran. She began her career in the physics laboratory of this university and was elected the chief of laboratory operations in the same year.
She signed for scholarship to study in France but Dr. Hesabi didn't accept it. He believed it's already enough for a woman to study this much. At last she left Iran for France, by her Father's financial support, where in 1956 she obtained her doctorate in Atmospheric Physics from Sorbonne University. Upon this she returned to Iran and became Assistant Professor in thermodynamics at University of Tehran. Later she worked in Solar Physics in the then West Germany for a period of four months through a scholarship that was awarded by the German government to University of Tehran. In 1964 Dr. Teriān became the first female Professor of Physics in Iran.
In 1966, Professor Teriān became Member of the Geophysics Committee of University of Tehran. In 1969 she was elected chief of the Solar Physics studies at this university and began to work in the Solar Observatory of which she was one of the founders. Professor Teriān retired in 1979. At the time of her death she was living in Tehran.
Terian died on March 4, 2011.
- "پیکر 'مادر نجوم ایران' تشییع شد". BBC Persian. Retrieved 2013-04-09.
- Interview with Alenoush Terian, Farsnews Wire Service.
- "An interview with Alenoush Terian". www.farheekhtegan.ir (in Persian).
- Janet D. Lazarian (2003). Encyclopedia of Iranian Armenians. Tehran: Hirmand Publisher. p. 426. ISBN 964-6974-50-3.
- Janet D. Lazarian (2003). Encyclopedia of Iranian Armenians. Tehran: Hirmand Publisher. p. 427. ISBN 964-6974-50-3.
- Alenoush Terian's Page in the Persian Wikipedia.
- The Mother of the Iranian Astronomy honoured.
- Iran’s First Female Astronomer Alenoush Terian Passes Away, The Armenian Weekly (March 5, 2011)