Alessandro Benetton is president of 21 Investimenti S.p.A., which he founded in 1992. Today the European Group has offices in Treviso, Milan, Paris, Geneva and Warsaw. He is one of the pioneers of private equity in Italy. Among the companies it has successfully relaunched are Pittarosso and The Space Cinema. He served as Chairman of the Benetton Group from April 2012 to May 2014.
He served as Chairman of the Benetton Formula from 1988 to 1998. His chairmanship years were marked by Formula 1 victories (26 out of the team’s total 27), including two world titles won with Michael Schumacher in 1994 and 1995, a manufacturing victory in 1995, and a collaboration with Nelson Piquet, Jean Alesi, Riccardo Patrese, Alessandro Nannini.
From 1988 to 1989, he worked in the Global Finance department at Goldman Sachs International in London as an analyst in the Mergers and Acquisitions and Equity Offering sectors.
Other positions held
He is a member of the Confindustria Committee and of the Advisory Committee of Robert Bosch International Beteiligungen AG in Zurich, the consultancy unit of the Swiss holding for the foreign activities of the Bosch Group. He is currently on the Board of Directors for Benetton Group S.p.A., Edizione S.r.l. (the parent company of the Benetton family), Autogrill S.p.A., Moncler S.p.A., and he sits on the British Telecom Advisory Board. He is a member of Confindustria and is part of the Advisory Committee for Robert Bosch Internationale Beteiligungen AG in Zurich, the advisory body of Swiss holding for the Bosch Group’s foreign activities.
The major part of his studies took part in the United States. He graduated from Boston University in 1987 with a degree in Business Administration. He received a Master of Business Administration from Harvard on July 6, 1991, under the supervision of Michael Porter.
Alessandro Benetton is the son of Luciano Benetton and Maria Teresa Maestri. He is married to former Olympic and Alpine World Ski champion Deborah Compagnoni, with whom he has three children: Agnese, Tobias e Luce. He is involved in a variety of sports at a competitive level, particularly Alpine skiing (he is a coach for the the Italian Winter Sports Federation) and kite surfing. He is a big fan and collector of modern art.
In 2012 he sponsored United Colors of Benetton UnHate communication campaign, winner of the Press Grand Prix at Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity. In 2011 he was named Entrepreneur of the Year by EY.
- "Executive profile: Alessandro Benetton". Bloomberg.com.
- "PittaRosso bought by British private equity firm Lion Capital". uk.fashionmag.com.
- "21 Investimenti exits Space Cinema". uk.fashionmag.com.
- "21 Investimenti official site - Alessandro Benetton".
- "Face Value - New colours at Benetton". The Economist.
- "Shop Talk: A Ski-Shop Excursion With Alessandro Benetton". The Wall Street Journal.
- "Alessandro Benetton Revels in Outdoor Sports". The Wall Street Journal.
- "Presidenza della Repubblica Italiana - Alessandro Benetton Cavaliere dell'Ordine Al Merito del Lavoro".
- "Benetton Group press release - First accolade for Unhate at the Cannes International Festival of Creativity".
- "Alessandro Benetton's Youtube - World Entrepreneur of the Year, by Ernst&Young".