|Born||May 24, 1976|
|Instruments||Vocals, keyboards, guitar, bass guitar|
|Labels||Interscope, Buddyhead, Modwheelmusic|
Alessandro Cortini (born May 24, 1976) is an Italian musician best known for being the keyboard, guitar, and bass player in the industrial band Nine Inch Nails. Cortini is also the frontman for the Los Angeles-based electronic-alternative band SONOIO.
He was a touring member of The Mayfield Four from 2000 to 2002. He was also a founding member of Modwheelmood, an electronic/alternative band from Los Angeles, with former Abandoned Pools guitarist Pelle Hillström. He completed a small Canadian tour with his solo project, blindoldfreak.
Cortini was born in Bologna, and raised in Forlì. Cortini moved from Italy to the United States to study guitar at the Musicians Institute. After graduating, and straying away from the guitar, he decided to focus on keyboards and synths. From 2001 to 2002, Cortini acted as touring guitarist for The Mayfield Four in support of their album Second Skin. While briefly teaching at the Musicians Institute, he saw an ad for open auditions for Nine Inch Nails. Reznor stated that Alessandro Cortini "fit in immediately." Reznor also stated that:
My first thought when Alessandro walked in was that he didn't look like what I had in mind. His presence was intense but gentle, not the "I'm gonna attack you" energy fans might associate with NIN. Then he started, and within 30 seconds I was like "That's the guy!" I never once regretted it. Without taking anything away from Charlie [Clouser], Alessandro is really into playing the studio parts as much as humanly possible.
Cortini toured with Nine Inch Nails from 2005 to 2008, during the band's "Live: With Teeth", "Performance 2007" and "Lights In The Sky Over North/South America" tours. His primary role was that of touring keyboard player, although he also played guitar and bass guitar on some songs. Besides touring with the band, Cortini also contributed to the instrumental album Ghosts I-IV (receiving co-writing credits on a number of tracks) and the 2008 album The Slip. A Modwheelmood remix of "The Great Destroyer" was also released on the Year Zero remix album Year Zero Remixed, and Cortini features in the live DVD Beside You In Time, as well as the music videos for The Hand That Feeds and Survivalism. He left the band at the end of 2008, citing a desire to pursue other projects.
Cortini was also the frontman of Los Angeles band Modwheelmood, which he led with former Abandoned Pools guitarist Pelle Hillstrom. Together they have released two EPs, ? (2003) and Enemies & Immigrants (2006). In 2007, they released Things Will Change, the companion remix disc for Enemies & Immigrants, and they released the first part of their new album Pearls to Pigs, Vol. 1 on December 25, 2007 exclusively as a digital release.
In fall 2006, Cortini contributed to the Musicians Institute's Recording Artist Program by acting as advisor for one-on-one training with students. In 2009, he filled in for Morgan Nicholls (touring member of Muse) while Nicholls took a leave of absence to be with his newborn son.
Alessandro Cortini worked with Ladytron in the production of two of their albums, Velocifero (2008) and Gravity the Seducer (2011). He also co-produced the second track, "We Are the Sea", from the debut album Crystal World (2013) of Ladytron's main singer, Marnie.
In 2010, he contributed electronic production to a song called "Birds of Prey" by pop artist Christina Aguilera, produced by Ladytron. The song is featured on the deluxe edition of her fourth studio album Bionic.
In summer 2010, Cortini formed the project SONOIO. The band name SONOIO comes from the Italian phrase "sono io", which means "it's me", as it is a solo project consisting solely of Alessandro Cortini. In July 2010 SONOIO released the album SONOIO Blue which was followed up by a remix album in December 2010 NON SONOIO. In June 2011 SONOIO released the album SONOIO Red.
Cortini joined How To Destroy Angels, a project consisting of Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross, Rob Sheridan and Mariqueen Maandig, as a touring member. He performs multiple instruments onstage and in addition remixed under his SONOIO moniker their single "The Spaces In-Between", which was used as the show finale for the majority of the tour. In 2013, Cortini returned to Nine Inch Nails as their touring member, and co-wrote the opening track of Hesitation Marks with Trent Reznor.
In March 2017, Nine Inch Nails' official Twitter account announced Cortini would be part of the 2017 summer performance lineup.
- As himself
- 2013: Forse 1 (LP, released July 2013)
- 2013: Forse 2 (LP, released November 2013)
- 2014: Sonno (LP)
- 2015: Forse 3 (LP)
- 2015: Risveglio (LP, released July 2015)
- 2016: SPIE (EP, released September 22, 2016)
- 2017: Avanti (LP, released October 6, 2017)
- 2019: VOLUME MASSIMO (LP, released September 27, 2019)
- 2021: SCURO CHIARO (LP, released June 11, 2021)
- 2010: SONOIO (Blue, Album, September 2010)
- 2011: SONOIO (Red, Album, June 2011)
- 2018: Fine (Album, July 2018)
- 2009: 1 (EP, 2009)
- 2003: ? (EP, 2003)
- 2006: Enemies & Immigrants (EP, released May 2006)
- 2007: Things Will Change (The companion remix disc to Enemies & Immigrants, released digitally in October 2007.)
- 2007: Pearls to Pigs, Vol. 1 (EP, released on December 25, 2007)
- 2008: Pearls to Pigs, Vol. 2 (EP, released on February 26, 2008)
- 2008: Pearls to Pigs, Vol. 3 (EP, released on July 16, 2008)
- 2009: Pearls to Pigs (Album, released on June 2, 2009)
- With Nine Inch Nails
- 2007: Beside You in Time (live DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray, 2007)
- 2007: Year Zero Remixed - "The Great Destroyer" (remixed by Modwheelmood)
- 2008: Ghosts I-IV
- 2008: The Slip
- 2013: Hesitation Marks
- With Jovanotti
- 2008: Safari
- With Ladytron
- 2008: Velocifero (Collaboration & production. Album, June, 2008)
- 2008: Ghosts single (modwheelmood remix, May, 2008)
- 2011: Gravity the Seducer (Collaboration & Production. Album, September, 2011)
- With Marnie
- 2013: "We Are the Sea" (Collaboration & Production. Album track, June, 2013)
- With Yoav
- 2008: Adore Adore (modwheelmood remix, 2008)
- 2008: Beautiful Lie (modwheelmood remix 2008)
- With The Mayfield Four
- 2001: Second Skin
- With Puscifer
- 2007: V is for Vagina (Synthesizer. Album, October, 2007)
- 2011: Conditions of My Parole (Collaboration & Production. Album, October, 2011) - "Oceans"
- With Lawrence English
- 2018: Immediate Horizon (Album, November 2018)
- With Daniel Avery
- 2020: Illusion of time (Illusion de la tiempo) (LP, released March 27, 2020)
- Patrick Doyle (2013-02-25). "Trent Reznor Confirms New Nine Inch Nails Lineup, Tour". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2020-03-05.
- "Nine Inch Nails 2013-2014 tour cycle". Retrieved May 6, 2017.
- "Nine Inch Nails 2017 summer show announcements". Retrieved May 6, 2017.
- "Nine Inch Nails confirm 2017 touring lineup". Retrieved May 6, 2017.
- "blindoldfreak dates-updated". 2009-01-24. Retrieved 2009-02-16.
- "From Italy to Rock Stardom". Times Square. 2007-01-02. Archived from the original on November 13, 2007. Retrieved 2008-02-08.
- Reznor, Trent (2005-01-22). "access". Nine Inch Nails. Archived from the original on 2005-03-04. Retrieved 2008-02-01.
- "Musicians Institute Announces Four New Project Advisors" Archived 2006-11-17 at the Wayback Machine-Modern Guitars. Retrieved on October 13-2007.
- "Nine Inch Nails 2017 live lineup tweet". Retrieved May 6, 2017.
- Leitko, Aaron. "Alessandro Cortini: Risveglio | Album Reviews". Pitchfork.com. Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 31 July 2015.
- "Alessandro Cortini to release new album Avanti". FACT Magazine: Music News, New Music. 2017-08-23. Retrieved 2017-09-20.
- Richardson, Jordan (2011-10-22). "Music Review: Puscifer - Conditions of My Parole". Seattle Post-Intelligencer.