Romagnoli with Milan in 2018
|Full name||Alessio Romagnoli|
|Date of birth||13 January 1995|
|Place of birth||Anzio, Italy|
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|2014–2015||→ Sampdoria (loan)||30||(2)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 21:34, 15 September 2019 (UTC)|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 5 September 2019
Alessio Romagnoli (Italian pronunciation: [aˈlɛssjo romaɲˈɲɔːli]; born 12 January 1995) is an Italian professional footballer who plays as a centre back for Serie A club Milan, for which he is captain and the Italian national team.
He began his career with Roma in 2012, and later spent a season on loan with Sampdoria in 2014, before moving to Milan in 2015. At the start of the 2018–19 Serie A season, he was installed as club and team captain following Leonardo Bonucci's return to Juventus.
A product of Roma youth academy, Romagnoli was included in the first team squad by new head coach Zdeněk Zeman at age 17. He made his senior debut on 11 December 2012 against Atalanta, playing the full game in Coppa Italia as a starter. He made his Serie A debut 12 days later, as a substitute in the final minutes of a league game against Milan. He scored his first goal in Serie A on 3 March 2013 against Genoa.
He found more first team opportunities in the second half of the 2013–14 season under new manager Rudi Garcia, both at full-back and in the centre of defence. On 31 May 2014, Romagnoli signed a new four-year contract with Roma.
Loan to Sampdoria
On 1 September 2014, Romagnoli was loaned to Sampdoria for €500,000, with an option to purchase for €2 million, as well as a counter-option of €750,000. Romagnoli made his Sampdoria debut as a late substitute in a 2–0 victory against Torino on 14 September. He scored his first goal for Sampdoria on 24 September 2014 in a 2–1 defeat of Chievo. In June 2015, Roma activated the buy-back clause and he returned to the club.
On 11 August 2015, he was sold to Milan for a fee of €25 million, signing a five-year contract. In addition, there is a sell-on clause entitling Roma to 30% over the value of €25 million. He made his official debut for Milan on 18 August, keeping a clean sheet in a 2–0 win over Perugia in Coppa Italia. Six days later, he made his first appearance in the league with the club, as Milan lost 2–0 to Fiorentina.
On 1 March 2016, he scored his first goal for Milan in a 5–0 win against Alessandria in Coppa Italia. This match sent Milan to the final for the first time since 2003. He concluded his first season with Milan with 40 appearances in all competitions and one goal.
Romagnoli made his first appearance of the 2016–17 season in a 3–2 victory in Serie A against Torino. On 23 December, Romagnoli helped lead Milan to victory in the Supercoppa Italiana, playing the full 120 minutes as Milan beat Juventus 4–3 in the penalty shoot-out following a 1–1 draw after extra time. On 15 April 2017, Romagnoli scored his first ever Serie A goal for Milan in the Derby della Madonnina.
After missing Milan's first 4 games of the season due to injury, he returned to the squad and he made his return to play the second leg of Europa league play offs against Shkëndija. On 19 September 2017, he made his first appearance of the Serie A season against Udinese.
Following Leonardo Bonucci's return to Juventus, Romagnoli was appointed as Milan's team captain. Romagnoli scored stoppage-time winning goals two times in five days for Milan, earning his club a 2-1 win over Genoa and a 1-0 over Udinese.
Romagnoli has represented Italy on multiple occasions at under-16, under-17 and under-19 levels. He made his first appearance for the Italy under-21 team against Northern Ireland on 5 March 2014, playing the full 90 minutes. With the Italy under-21, he took part at the 2015 UEFA European Under-21 Championship, forming an effective partnership with fellow centre-back Daniele Rugani.
On 27 August, Romagnoli was called up to the senior squad for the first time for a friendly against France on 1 September and a 2018 World Cup qualification match on 5 September against Israel. However, he was later moved to the under-21 squad for 2017 UEFA European Under-21 Championship qualification match against Serbia.
Style of play
An elegant, versatile, composed and gifted left-footed centre-back, with good technique and distribution, Romagnoli is known for his confidence in possession, and ability to play the ball out from the back; due to his ability to advance into more attacking positions or put pressure on opponents higher up on the pitch, he is also capable of functioning as a left-sided full-back. Romagnoli is effective in the air and known for his ability to time his challenges; regarded as one of the most promising young Italian defenders of his generation, his precocious displays, technique, positional sense, decision-making, and tackling abilities have led pundits to compare him with legendary Italian defender Alessandro Nesta, whom Romagnoli has described as his footballing idol. In 2015, Romagnoli was named one of the top 100 young footballers in the world born after 1994 by Don Balón.
- As of match played 15 September 2019.
|Sampdoria (loan)||2014–15||Serie A||30||2||1||0||—||—||31||2|
- As of match played 5 September 2019
|Italy national team|
- "Convocazioni e presenze in campo - ROMAGNOLI ALESSIO". FIGC. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 7 January 2013.
- "Romagnoli, buonissima la prima" (in Italian). Il Romanista. 13 December 2012. Archived from the original on 18 December 2012. Retrieved 7 January 2013.
- "Roma-Milan, esordio in serie A per Romagnoli" (in Italian). Il Romanista. 23 December 2012. Retrieved 7 January 2013.
- "Prolungato il contratto economico per le prestazioni sportive del calciatore Romagnoli" (in Italian). A.S. Roma. 31 May 2014. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- "OPERAZIONI DI MERCATO Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa e Alessio Romagnoli" (PDF) (in Italian). A.S. Roma. 1 September 2014. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- "Alessio Romagnoli alla Sampdoria a titolo temporaneo" (in Italian). U.C. Sampdoria. 1 September 2014. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- "Romagnoli officially joins Sampdoria". Gianluca Di Marzio. 1 September 2014. Archived from the original on 2014-09-15. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "Progetto di Bilancio di esercizio e Consolidato al 30 giugno 2015" (PDF) (in Italian). A.S. Roma. 5 October 2015. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- "OPERAZIONI DI MERCATO Alessio Romagnoli" (PDF) (in Italian). A.S. Roma. 11 August 2015. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- "Fantastic to open my AC Milan account - Romagnoli". Goal.com.
- "Milan 3-2 Torino: Bacca hits hat-trick at San Siro". Goal.com. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Donnarumma: 'Dedicated to Berlusconi'". Football Italia. 23 December 2016. Retrieved 23 December 2016.
- "A Cristián Zapata goal deep in injury time completed a second-half fight back for Milan and kept their noses in front of their city rivals in a thrilling derby". The Guardian. 15 April 2017. Retrieved 15 April 2017.
- "Milan test 3-5-2 with Shkendija". Football Italia. 23 August 2017. Retrieved 18 September 2017.
- "SHKENDIJA 0 AC MILAN 1 (0-7 AGG): CUTRONE STREAK CONTINUES TO CONFIRM EUROPA LEAGUE PROGRESS". Goal. 24 August 2017. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- "Milan vs. Udinese Match Report". Goal.com. 17 September 2017. Retrieved 17 September 2017.
- "Romagnoli proud to be new AC Milan captain". Forza Italian Football. 16 August 2018. Retrieved 17 October 2018.
- "Football news - Alessio Romagnoli scores another stoppage-time winner for AC Milan". Eurosport Australia. 2018-11-04. Retrieved 2018-11-05.
- "Italy: Ventura calls new faces". Football Italia. 27 August 2016. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- "Italy vs. Serbia: Azzurrini fly to Vicenza, Romagnoli joins squad". La Community Ufficiale delle Nazionali di Calcio Italiane. 31 August 2016. Retrieved 5 September 2016.
- "Italy vs. Spain - Football Match Line-Ups". ESPN. 6 October 2016. Retrieved 7 October 2016.
- "Romagnoli: 'No Italy nerves'". Football Italia. 6 October 2016. Retrieved 7 October 2016.
- Stefano Dolci (2 October 2014). "Alessio Romagnoli, il giovane "Nesta più tecnico"". eurosport.yahoo.com (in Italian). Eurosport. Retrieved 16 March 2015.
- Vincenzo D'Angelo (15 July 2015). "Romagnoli, il paragone con Nesta e quei segni del destino..." (in Italian). La Gazzetta dello Sport. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- Blair Newman; Luca Hodges-Ramon; Richard Hall; Franco Ficetola; Mark Neale; Emmet Gates (24 January 2017). "The 50 best young footballers in Italy". The Guardian. Retrieved 15 February 2017.
- Marco Calabresi (25 February 2014). "Roma, Romagnoli conquista la conferma". gazzetta.it (in Italian). La Gazzetta dello Sport. Retrieved 16 March 2015.
- Daniele Longo (14 September 2016). "Milan: Romagnoli vale 40 milioni?" (in Italian). CalcioMercato.com. Retrieved 7 October 2016.
- Filippo Grimaldi (16 March 2015). "Roma-Sampdoria, il derby di Romagnoli, il nuovo Nesta che Ferrero vuole tenere". gazzetta.it (in Italian). La Gazzetta dello Sport. Retrieved 16 March 2015.
- "La lista dei 101 migliori giovani talenti del calcio mondiale" [The list of the 101 best young talents in world football]. eurosport.com (in Italian). Eurosport. 24 November 2015. Retrieved 25 January 2016.
- "A. Romagnoli". Soccerway. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alessio Romagnoli.|
- Alessio Romagnoli at Soccerway