Square Enix Mobile (JM)
|Platform(s)||Master System, MSX2, Wii Virtual Console, Java Midlet|
Wii Virtual Console
|Genre(s)||Vertical scrolling shooter|
The story of Aleste concerns the manmade supercomputer DIA 51, which has been infected by a hybrid virus that is spreading like wildfire, eventually leading DIA 51 to eliminate the human race. When Yuri, Ray's girlfriend, gets injured in DIA's assault, Raymond Waizen has all the reason in the world to get rid of DIA 51 once and for all in his Aleste fighter.
The game was originally released for the Master System in February 1988. This version was released outside Japan, as Power Strike; the US release was a mail-only limited edition, while the European release was a normal retail package.
A version of the game has been released on phones by Square Enix, presumably based on the MSX2 version. The MSX2 version has been rereleased on Nintendo's Wii Virtual Console service in Japan. It along with Aleste 2 had also been rereleased through the now-defunct WOOMB service.
Aleste was followed by several sequels.
- Aleste Gaiden (MSX2)
- Aleste 2 (MSX2)
- MUSHA (Mega Drive)
- GG Aleste (Game Gear)
- Super Aleste (Super Famicom)
- Dennin Aleste: Nobunaga and his Ninja force (Mega-CD)
- GG Aleste II: Lance Bird (Game Gear)
There is also a number of similar games, some of which various Aleste entries are based on; for example, Gunhed would inspire Super Aleste.
- The Guardian Legend (Family Computer)
- Gunhed (PC Engine)
- Seirei Senshi Spriggan (PC Engine CD)
- Spriggan mark2: Re-Terraform Project (PC Engine CD)
- Power Strike II (Master System)
- Sylphia (PC Engine CD)
- Spriggan Powered (Super Famicom)
Finally, it is known that around 1993, various employees left Compile and joined Raizing, where they made some similar games.
- "Square Enrix and Macrospace Team Up to launch mobile versions of Aleste, Actraiser and Drakengard in Europe". Midlet-review.com. 8 July 2004. Archived from the original on 16 November 2008. Retrieved 2009-02-28.
- Zanac USA Manual
|This scrolling shooter article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|