|Also known as||Crutch|
|Origin||Lebanon, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Genres||Progressive death metal
Melodic death metal
Technical death metal
|Associated acts||Becoming the Archetype
|Past members||Travis Turner
Aletheian are a Christian progressive/melodic death metal band. They formed in Lebanon, Pennsylvania in 1997 under the name Crutch, and then changed their name to "Aletheian" prior to the 2003 album Apolutrosis. Guitarist Alex Kenis joined Becoming the Archetype in 2007 and recorded the album The Physics of Fire. In the spring of 2007, Aletheian signed to IronClad Recordings, a subsidiary label of Metal Blade Records.
Influenced by Death, Cynic, Carcass, Emperor, Fates Warning, Dream Theater, Meshuggah, and At the Gates, the band was originally formed under the name Crutch in 1997. They later released their debut entitled ...Hope Prevails independently in 2001. The album was re-released on Burning Records in 2002.
The group became Aletheian (a derivation of the Greek word for "truth", in the sense of "discovering") in 2003 when the band underwent a major line-up change acquiring two new members, and made the decision to take the band to the touring level for the first time.
The style and material of the band did not change with the name, combining elements of technical, progressive, Scandinavian, and melodic death metal. Apolutrosis, a full-length Concept album, pre-release made available independently in 2003. It was re-mixed and re-mastered for full-release in 2004 on Hope Prevails Productions. The same year ...Hope Prevails was partially re-recorded, re-mixed, re-mastered, and re-released with updated artwork and the name Aletheian on Hope Prevails Productions. Dying Vine was Recorded, mixed, and mastered at Studio Insomnia. The album was released in July 2005 by Hope Prevails Productions.
In 2005, the band released Aletheian Live DVD, featuring 2 hours of edited live concert footage, concept music video, behind the scenes recording documentary, and more.
Aletheian has contributed two songs,"Break in the Clouds" and "Exaleipheian," recorded live in Ohio for Spindust Records' DVD compilation video 10/20 Underground Rock Show in 2004.
Aletheian has played festivals such as March Metal Meltdown, MACRoCk, Sick as Sin, Metal Mindrage, Icthus, and Cornerstone Festival as well as with bands such as Cephalic Carnage, Becoming the Archetype, Biohazard, Buried Alive, Antithesis, Withered Earth, Disgorge, Zao, Living Sacrifice, Society's Finest, Tantrum of the Muse, Underoath, among others.
In the spring of 2007, Aletheian signed to IronClad Recordings, a subsidiary label of Metal Blade Records.
On the Becoming The Archetype forum, Alex Kenis of Aletheian rumored that there would be new Aletheian material by the end of the 2008 calendar year, with the desire of releasing a new album late in 2009.
In 2016, Alex Kenis did an interview on Shoot the Shred Podcast, stating he had written all of the songs for their upcoming, but has been unable to record it due to "life happening".
|Alex Kenis||Lead Guitar, Keyboards, Clean Vocals||1997-present||Becoming the Archetype, Solamors, Synoptic Rise|
|Joel Thorpe||Unclean Vocals||1998-present|
|Donny Swigart||Guitar, Bass||1999-2006, 2008-present||Enshrouded by Despair|
|Joe Walmer||Drums||2003-present||Solace of Requiem, Blind Influence|
|Travis Turner||Drums||1999-2003, 2008||Solamors, UnTeachers|
- Travis Wagner (ex-Dirtfedd) - bass (2003)
- Andy High - bass (2007)
- Derek Corzine (ex-Bloodline Severed) - guitar (2007)
- Chris Keeney - guitar, clean vocals (2007-2008) (ex-Blind Influence)
- Amy Lynn Corzine - female vocals (Whisper from Heaven, ex-Bloodline Severed) (2007)
- Awe and Disbelief (1999)
- Transitions (1999)
- Hope Prevails (2001; Hope Prevails Productions)
- Apolutrosis (2003; Hope Prevails Productions)
- Dying Vine (2005; Hope Prevails Productions)
- Live (2005)
- Dying Vine (Re-release) (2008; Ironclad Recordings/Metal Blade)
- Other Songs
- "Breathing Murder" originally performed by Living Sacrifice on Living Sacrifice Tribute (2001; Clenched Fist Records)
- Prato, Greg. "Aletheian - Dying Vine". AllMusic. Retrieved December 20, 2015.
- Staff(s). "Aletheian". Last.fm. Retrieved December 20, 2015.
- Neilstein, Vince (May 13, 2008). "ALETHEIAN SUFFER FROM A.D.D. WITH DYING VINE". MetalSucks. Retrieved December 20, 2015.
- "Aletheian". Encyclopedia Metallum. Retrieved December 20, 2015.
- Pardo, Pete (August 21, 2008). "Aletheian - Dying Vine". Sea of Tranquility. Retrieved December 20, 2015.
- Aletheian biography. Sonicbids.com
- Eric (April 25, 2016). "EP 24 – Alex Kenis (Solamors/Aletheian)". Shoot the Shred Podcast. Retrieved July 15, 2016.
- "Aletheian". Spirit of Metal. Retrieved December 20, 2015.
- Nash, Len (August 31, 2003). "Aletheian - Apolutrosis". The Phantom Tollbooth. Retrieved December 20, 2015.