Alex Carleton is an American clothing and home-goods designer. He was the founder of Rogues Gallery and was the creative director of an L.L.Bean capsule brand, L.L.Bean Signature. He is currently creative director of Filson.
After working for a short time in a Boston furniture repair shop, Carleton began his design career in New York at Polo Ralph Lauren where he was a senior designer. He did design and branding for Abercrombie & Fitch. He moved to Maine in 1999.
Carleton started Rogues Gallery in 2003 as a side project while he was working for L.L.Bean. Rogues Gallery's T-shirts pioneered the trend toward highly designed graphic T-shirts and were quickly noted in the pages of Vogue and eventually on a number of celebrity clients. The Rogues Gallery store and website have since been closed.
Carleton was nominated for GQ designer of the year in 2009. That same year he began working on developing the new L.L.Bean Signature line. He subsequently opened a small boutique art and antiques gallery on Cape Cod called Foc'sle. His arrangement with L.L.Bean ended in 2013, and, soon after, he moved to Filson.
- Luecke, Andrew D. (September 8, 2014). "Legend of British workwear designs new C.C. Filson line". Esquire. Retrieved October 5, 2014.
- Daley, Lauren. "Orleans native designs line for L.L.Bean". Cape Cod Online. Archived from the original on 15 August 2010. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- Patner, Josh (29 September 2008). "America: Conquerer [sic] of the Global Menswear Market". Time Magazine. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- Williams, Michael. "Rogues Gallery". The Maine Magazine. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- Paris, Stan. "Going Rogue". GQ. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- Mraz, Michael. "Sea Worthy". Men's Vogue. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "Best New Designers in America". GQ. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- Wilson, Eric (20 August 2009). "L.L.Bean Tries on a New Look". New York Times. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "A New Look at New England: L.L.Bean Launches Its Signature Collection". Vogue. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- Stephen, Watson. "Rogues Gallery Founder and L.L.Bean Creative Director Introduces His Latest Project". The Fashion Source. Archived from the original on 20 February 2012. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- Foster, Pacey. "Foc'sle in Provincetown Mass". A Restless Transplant. Archived from the original on 26 May 2012. Retrieved 8 February 2012.